The Student Room Group

Regarding the medical sciences Bsc and American medical school.

Hi there, I've gotten an admission to the university of central Lancashire for the medical science honours course, and wanted to know if I could then apply to American medical schools.
As far as I'm aware all US medical schools require you to have studied at least one year of science classes in the US at an accredited US college; as in, parallel to the standard premed curriculum, even if you took all the premed classes in another country, you'd still need a year of studying sciences in the US. Since UCLan is not such a place, you wouldn't meet that requirement.

Beyond that the standard premed curriculum in the US isn't realistically possible to cover in almost any degree in the UK. As normally they expect 2 consecutive semester physics modules, 2 such biology modules, 2 such "general" chemistry modules, 2 such organic chemistry modules (sometimes you can replace the second one with a biochemistry module), sometimes a biochemistry module on top of that, and often they also require some formal academic writing module(s) to have been covered, and sometimes 1-2 semester mathematical methods and/or statistics modules (in the US this would be 1-2 semesters of calculus, sometimes replacing the second semester with statistics is acceptable). Sometimes they recommend or prefer a semester of psychology or sociology as well. These also all more or less correspond to areas you need to have background in for the MCAT.

So you'd almost certainly need to do a postbacc premed programme in the US (or a masters degree which will let you take the requisite premed classes you're missing which is probably not many of them) which is very expensive and due to the sequencing of classes almost invariably will take 2 years there, plus a "glide year" where you end up with a year out while you apply because you won't have been able to realistically apply during the second year (as you won't have covered all the material for the MCAT by then).
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
You would not meet the pre-req requirements for us medical school without some significant time in US or Canadian universities taking specific courses.
Reply 3
Are you a us citizen or green card holder?
Original post by sankarv
Hi there, I've gotten an admission to the university of central Lancashire for the medical science honours course, and wanted to know if I could then apply to American medical schools.

Hi there @sankarv,

Great to hear that you've received an offer to study Medical Science here at UCLan!

You mentioned applying to American medical schools after completing your course. For this I would suggest you reach out to our admissions team at [email protected] or on +0044 (0) 1772 895024, the team will be able to give advice on progression routes. Might also be good to reaching out to the US medical schools you are looking to know your options.

Let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending