The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Got rejected (sort of) Is there anything i can do ???

right so last year I applied for University of Birmingham for physics but didn't quite get the grades so I then applied again for Physical sciences with a foundation year this application cycle. I was pretty sure I would get in since I got the grades and last year they told me they liked my personal statement a lot. I just checked UCAS and no it says

"Your application to University of Birmingham for Physical Sciences with Foundation Year has either been unsuccessful, withdrawn or is full. You will no longer be considered for this place."

I really dont know what to do now, that was my only plan really, and I applied early so I don't understand how it could be full. I also never received an email or anything so I only realised a few days later.

I really need advice or something I feel like I didn't revise enough in college and now I've ruined my life. I could try to apply next year I suppose but I don't know why it was rejected so I could just waste another year of my life for nothing.

I'm just a bit upset and really could do with help or advice or something I know the deadline is the 31st, is there anything i can do at all???
thanks.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
PHONE Birmingham on Monday and ask them why you have been 'rejected'.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by r1518
right so last year I applied for University of Birmingham for physics but didn't quite get the grades so I then applied again for Physical sciences with a foundation year this application cycle. I was pretty sure I would get in since I got the grades and last year they told me they liked my personal statement a lot. I just checked UCAS and no it says

"Your application to University of Birmingham for Physical Sciences with Foundation Year has either been unsuccessful, withdrawn or is full. You will no longer be considered for this place."

I really dont know what to do now, that was my only plan really, and I applied early so I don't understand how it could be full. I also never received an email or anything so I only realised a few days later.

I really need advice or something I feel like I didn't revise enough in college and now I've ruined my life. I could try to apply next year I suppose but I don't know why it was rejected so I could just waste another year of my life for nothing.

I'm just a bit upset and really could do with help or advice or something I know the deadline is the 31st, is there anything i can do at all???
thanks.

Something very odd seems to have gone on here. The phrase "has either been unsuccessful, withdrawn or is full" is nonsensically vague.

The course cannot be full as equal consideration must be given to all applications received by the deadline on 31st January.

Occasionally courses get withdrawn, either because there are simply not enough applicants or because of other issues within the university. But I see no indication on their web site that this is the case here.

A search in UCAS for any undergraduate degree at University of Birmingham lists just one - EPS Futures. (See search results here.) That leads me to suspect that that there may have been some "glitch" at UCAS and they've "lost" a bunch of courses from their system, which has triggered the weird message you have received.

I agree with @McGinger - call the university on Monday for some clarity as to what's happened and why.
Reply 3
As above - is there an obvious reason you have been 'withdrawn'?
For example, does the Foundation course have specific widening-participation criteria etc.
Also, check you junk mail to see if they have emailed you about something and you have not replied?
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
PHONE Birmingham on Monday and ask them why you have been 'rejected'.

I will definately phone monday morning, & as for your other reply i really cant see any obvious reason it would be withdrawn, i didnt put loads of thought in because i already have the grades so i was really confident id get a place.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Something very odd seems to have gone on here. The phrase "has either been unsuccessful, withdrawn or is full" is nonsensically vague.

The course cannot be full as equal consideration must be given to all applications received by the deadline on 31st January.

Occasionally courses get withdrawn, either because there are simply not enough applicants or because of other issues within the university. But I see no indication on their web site that this is the case here.

A search in UCAS for any undergraduate degree at University of Birmingham lists just one - EPS Futures. (See search results here.) That leads me to suspect that that there may have been some "glitch" at UCAS and they've "lost" a bunch of courses from their system, which has triggered the weird message you have received.

I agree with @McGinger - call the university on Monday for some clarity as to what's happened and why.

Thanks for the reply and the advice, Im definately going to call them and ask whats going on. trying to stay hopeful that this was just some sort of error !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending