The Student Room Group

Transgender women banned from women's chess events

Lots of threads and stuff on this kind of thing recently but this one makes zero sense to me, how does biological sex give you and advantage for a sport like chess? I can see how it does for most other sports hence me mostly agreeing with the sporting bodies, but not this one.

Can read more on the story here: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-66538328 (also on sky news, channel 4 news etc)

I don't agree with the body’s move on this one to the point where I didn’t even know that for a game like chess, there are male and female categories (as opposed to it all being mixed sex) but then again, I don’t play chess competitively.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Talkative Toad
Lots of threads and stuff on this kind of thing recently but this one makes zero sense to me, how does biological sex give you and advantage for a sport like chess? I can see how it does for most other sports hence me mostly agreeing with the sporting bodies, but not this one.

Can read more on the story here: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-66538328 (also on sky news, channel 4 news etc)

I don't agree with the body’s move on this one to the point where I didn’t even know that for a game like chess, there are male and female categories (as opposed to it all being mixed sex) but then again, I don’t play chess competitively.

I only play low level chess and my kids have always belonged to a club where boys played against girls. Unless there’s something I’m missing I can’t see the logic behind this.
Original post by Euapp
I only play low level chess and my kids have always belonged to a club where boys played against girls. Unless there’s something I’m missing I can’t see the logic behind this.

Same here, can't see the logic on this one unlike in the other cases.
The "logic" behind this is much the same as all anti-trans initiatives. It's not about "fair competition" it's about making it so trans people are unable to participate in public life. The nonsense about sporting events and "fair competition" are just a way to wedge the issue in, and this is the next logical step for that process of systematized transphobia.

It's also worth noting even in "physical" activities, the claims about what womens bodies should or should not conform to in order to keep trans women out of competitions overwhelmingly also negatively impacts cis women of colour. The demands that women competing in competitions should have testosterone levels below a certain level, despite these being hugely variable in cis women and trans women (and some cis women may have higher T levels than trans women) directly leads to things like Caster Semenya being excluded from competitions due to her body naturally producing more T than other cis women. Meanwhile on the mens side, when Michael Phelps' body was found to naturally produce less lactic acid than others giving him an advantage, this was considered not only acceptable but something to celebrate.

The double standard is absurd and hurts all women, not only trans women - and is being used to materially harm trans people even outside of these events.
This was put forward by FIDE, the governing body of chess, and it has been widely criticized by many. The argument of trans people having some kind of physical advantage does not exist here - chess is not a physical game. Women in chess has been a widely debated issue for a while now, with split titles, elo rating benchmarks and competitions being scrutinized by many. There has been a lot of attention towards women's chess in the last few months after WGM Jennifer Shahade's story and subsequent petition. I feel like this policy is trying to ride that wave, though it makes no sense to me.
Reply 5
My guess (and this is pure speculation) is that some would say that women's chess is seen as less competitive, in that there are simply fewer women competing in the higher leagues. There are roughly 2000 grandmasters but only 40 of them are women, and to achieve the title of "woman grandmaster" requires a lower ranking than the standard "grandmaster" title.

I guess you could say that the system is open to abuse in that men who are struggling to break into the uppermost tier in the hyper-competitive men's game could self-identify as a woman, change to the women's league and move up the rankings much quicker, thereby gaining more prestige, sponsorship money, or whatever.

Now maybe that's complete nonsense but I would bet money on something like that being behind FIDE's decision. Though as artful_lounger says, it just eclipses genuine trans people from yet another field for the sake of deterring a handful of cheats.

It's a widely debated issue. Objectively, there is no difference between a woman and man playing chess, intelligence-wise. The best example of this? The Polgars. The main reason you don't see more women players in the limelight is that certain people like to preserve the impression that chess is a 'gentleman's game'. The harassment women face is another strong deterrent. It's been the subject of much discussion in recent months. It's unfortunate, but true.

Side note: Open tournaments are mixed-sex.
Reply 7
It's possible that men or women have a natural advantage in high level chess but I doubt that it's very significant. The rankings of the top female chess players is lower than the men's but that may just be because the talent pool for the women is much smaller i.e. for whatever reason fewer women play chess.

The FIDE analysis may end up showing this and then trans women could be allowed to compete again.
Original post by artful_lounger
The "logic" behind this is much the same as all anti-trans initiatives. It's not about "fair competition" it's about making it so trans people are unable to participate in public life. The nonsense about sporting events and "fair competition" are just a way to wedge the issue in, and this is the next logical step for that process of systematized transphobia.

It's also worth noting even in "physical" activities, the claims about what womens bodies should or should not conform to in order to keep trans women out of competitions overwhelmingly also negatively impacts cis women of colour. The demands that women competing in competitions should have testosterone levels below a certain level, despite these being hugely variable in cis women and trans women (and some cis women may have higher T levels than trans women) directly leads to things like Caster Semenya being excluded from competitions due to her body naturally producing more T than other cis women. Meanwhile on the mens side, when Michael Phelps' body was found to naturally produce less lactic acid than others giving him an advantage, this was considered not only acceptable but something to celebrate.

The double standard is absurd and hurts all women, not only trans women - and is being used to materially harm trans people even outside of these events.

I strongly disagree that similar arguments in other sports are always transphobic. Of course they can be and people with these views are often those who shout the loudest.

As one example, if you take a sport like weightlifting, it is a statistical inevitability based on all the data that if trans women competed relative to their population then they would dominate the sport. As you say, you currently get natural variation that mean some athletes or countries/races perform better than others but that's the status quo and everyone accepts it. I believe that if we suddenly have a new group of women dominate a sport then it would discourage a lot of women to pick up that sport and probably would lead to more transphobia.

I am also concerned about equality and excluding a whole group of people from sport. So it's not a simple argument but I think labelling everyone on one side of the argument as transphobic isn't helpful.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by sleep_supremacy
It's a widely debated issue. Objectively, there is no difference between a woman and man playing chess, intelligence-wise. The best example of this? The Polgars. The main reason you don't see more women players in the limelight is that certain people like to preserve the impression that chess is a 'gentleman's game'. The harassment women face is another strong deterrent. It's been the subject of much discussion in recent months. It's unfortunate, but true.

Side note: Open tournaments are mixed-sex.

Ye but that's only open tournaments, I think that sex categories for a sport like chess (unlike for most other sports) should go all together but then again my expertise in chess isn't that great.

In this case though it's woman playing against other women if we talking in terms of gender and not sex (cis women playing against trans women). For other sports e.g cycling, rowing, rugby, swimming (I think swimming as well but might be wrong), trans women are being banned from the women's category due to fairness (because of the unfair advantages biological men have over biological women) so at least here there's some worry and justification on what it could do to women's sports, but chess? Nah I don't see it unless we're taking the view that for every type of sport (including E-sports) you should always be segregated based on sex and not gender.

Maybe I'm misinformed though and this decision actually has some sense to it.
Ye but that's only open tournaments, I think that sex categories for a sport like chess (unlike for most other sports) should go all together but then again my expertise in chess isn't that great.

In this case though it's woman playing against other women if we talking in terms of gender and not sex (cis women playing against trans women). For other sports e.g cycling, rowing, rugby, swimming (I think swimming as well but might be wrong), trans women are being banned from the women's category due to fairness (because of the unfair advantages biological men have over biological women) so at least here there's some worry and justification on what it could do to women's sports, but chess? Nah I don't see it unless we're taking the view that for every type of sport (including E-sports) you should always be segregated based on sex and not gender.

Maybe I'm misinformed though and this decision actually has some sense to it.

No one has seen the wisdom of this decision yet. I doubt there is any. (This includes GM's and WGM's.)

Many feel that tournaments should be mixed-sex. I don't see a problem with that. It again boils down to how chess is unfairly skewed towards men. Competitions with men will invariably have more prize money and coverage while a women's tournament of the same caliber will have less. Look at the 2023 WCC for men and women if you want an example. The prize money for women is almost half of that for men.
Original post by artful_lounger

Caster Semenya is intersex though so I can see why sporting bodies initially took the decision but it's good that she won her case. Not sure what puts me in the picture (biological BAME woman).

It's not just about testosterone but also things like bigger lung capacity, height, bone density etc but for a sport like chess (unlike most other sports), fail to see how any of that is relevant. What does someone who's sex is male got to do with their ability to play chess and how that does gives them an unfair biological advantage for a sport like chess? Unlike for rowing, cycling, rugby etc.

For once I'm going to have to agree with the first and last paragraph (normally I don't tend to agree with it when these kinds of decisions are made but I'll have to agree when it comes to this one).
Original post by sleep_supremacy
No one has seen the wisdom of this decision yet. I doubt there is any. (This includes GM's and WGM's.)

Many feel that tournaments should be mixed-sex. I don't see a problem with that. It again boils down to how chess is unfairly skewed towards men. Competitions with men will invariably have more prize money and coverage while a women's tournament of the same caliber will have less. Look at the 2023 WCC for men and women if you want an example. The prize money for women is almost half of that for men.

Yeah but how does trans women make things worse for women in chess tournaments? Are we saying that for all sports where there are female and open/male categories, only intersex people who identify as women (on a case by case basis) and cis women should play in the women’s category even if let’s say it is found that transgender women posses no biological advantage in said sport?

Surely then the solution is to fix the inequalities between men’s and women’s sport but then I guess supply and demand makes that’s harder.
Reply 12
I’m probably one of the people that has been labelled trans phobic on the cycling, athletic, and swimming threads because I am vehemently against trans women in these kinds of sport where the trans has been through a male puberty and maintains certain biological characteristics that can’t be removed, BUT this is just silly!! Chess is an intellectual sport and unless we argue that men are naturally smarter than women, I really don’t see how or why a cis woman would feel in any way threatened by a trans woman in this situation. Similarly in rifle sports, snooker or darts I can’t think of any objection to trans sports people being included. These are games of skill not related as far as I know to speed, size or strength.
The initial inclusion of trans women in all women’s sports was imo a mistake and the committees concerned are changing the rules to account for the errors, but I really do believe that those making the rules are more concerned with adhering to some political agenda rather than using common sense, and this stupid ruling concerning chess players just proves it.
I don't get this either. I fully support the banning of transwomen competing against women in sports where physical strength and other bodily advantages actually matter, like cycling, swimming, athletics, rowing and so on. But I don't see how that applies to chess which is a purely mental ''sport''.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Euapp
I’m probably one of the people that has been labelled trans phobic on the cycling, athletic, and swimming threads because I am vehemently against trans women in these kinds of sport where the trans has been through a male puberty and maintains certain biological characteristics that can’t be removed, BUT this is just silly!! Chess is an intellectual sport and unless we argue that men are naturally smarter than women, I really don’t see how or why a cis woman would feel in any way threatened by a trans woman in this situation. Similarly in rifle sports, snooker or darts I can’t think of any objection to trans sports people being included. These are games of skill not related as far as I know to speed, size or strength.
The initial inclusion of trans women in all women’s sports was imo a mistake and the committees concerned are changing the rules to account for the errors, but I really do believe that those making the rules are more concerned with adhering to some political agenda rather than using common sense, and this stupid ruling concerning chess players just proves it.

I agree, you might as well segregate everyone based on biological sex for all sports at point then whilst making case-by-case exceptions for intersex people rather than all of this faffing around and nonsense.
Original post by Notnek
It's possible that men or women have a natural advantage in high level chess but I doubt that it's very significant. The rankings of the top female chess players is lower than the men's but that may just be because the talent pool for the women is much smaller i.e. for whatever reason fewer women play chess.

The FIDE analysis may end up showing this and then trans women could be allowed to compete again.

I strongly disagree that similar arguments in other sports are always transphobic. Of course they can be and people with these views are often those who shout the loudest.

As one example, if you take a sport like weightlifting, it is a statistical inevitability based on all the data that if trans women competed relative to their population then they would dominate the sport. As you say, you currently get natural variation that mean some athletes or countries/races perform better than others but that's the status quo and everyone accepts it. I believe that if we suddenly have a new group of women dominate a sport then it would discourage a lot of women to pick up that sport and probably would lead to more transphobia.

I am also concerned about equality and excluding a whole group of people from sport. So it's not a simple argument but I think labelling everyone on one side of the argument as transphobic isn't helpful.

The point is that it's exactly the same as the "refusing to bake a cake for gay couple" case. It's not about the actual premise, it's to create a precedent to allow further and continued prejudice and discrimination against a marginalised community. First they can't compete in "physical" sports. Then they can't compete in any kind of activity. First they can't use bathrooms of the gender they identify with. Then they aren't allowed to use public bathrooms at all.

One state in the US undertook to enact new laws barring trans state employees from receiving healthcare coverage relating to their transition. Do you know how many trans people would have actually been affected by that? One. The actual cost to the state was negligible, compared to the over a million dollars spent litigating it. It was purely to spite the individual for who they are.

Many of the US states creating laws to ban trans high school athletes from competing have likewise single digit numbers of trans athletes in consideration, compared to the thousands of cis athletes. In many cases the trans athletes are not even winning competitions so it's clearly not due to an apparent competitive edge. Following from my earlier point about it just being a way to get the wedge in the door, this also has cut both ways as one notable trans wrestler was barred from competing in mens wrestling competitions because he was trans. He was forced to compete in womens wrestling where he did perform better. Do you think this is "fair"?

It's always just the first step and the fact that you all buy into it at every turn and defend it is dismaying to say the least. Not to mention in ever case, logically inconsistent other than the logical consistency of it being a way to discriminate against a minority community.

I think before discussing whether trans-women should be able to participate in a women's event, the more fundamental issue to consider is whether we even need women's events in the first place. We have sex-segregation in other sports for obvious reasons, but in chess there are plenty of men and women who are evenly matched, and there's no reason why they shouldn't compete together. As such, most chess competitions are mixed and most titles are gender-neutral. Why not make them all like that?

Well, the fact of the matter is that chess is still an extremely male-dominated sport. There has never been a female World Champion. Only one woman has ever been in the world's top 10, and only three have ever been in the world's top 100. I don't really know why. Maybe women are innately less likely to be interested in a game about war and battle, or they might face sociocultural barriers to entry, or there may be some small advantage in being biologically male after all. (It's interesting to note that women tend to fare better against men in online chess where they aren't told their opponent's gender, compared to over-the-table chess). Whatever the reasons, it still seems that in order for a woman to reach the same level as a man in elite chess, she needs to be more exceptional than he does.

I suppose we have women's events and titles because FIDE has decided that it's worth recognising and rewarding females for being just as exceptional, even if it doesn't actually result in them reaching the same level as men. It may also be a way of encouraging women into chess and increasing their visibility and representation. It's still a somewhat debated issue though. Some women reject titles like "WGM" (Woman Grandmaster) and consider them patronising. Some people believe that women's only events might lower the ambitions of women from competing against and matching men at the highest level. I don't really know enough about this to form a strong opinion myself.

My view is this: If we are to have women-only events and titles, then it makes more sense for the eligibility criteria to be based on something objective (e.g. biological sex) rather than purely being a matter of self-identification. Self-identification just means that men can become eligible simply by saying they're trans, even if they're not really. In that case the event may as well just be billed as gender-neutral, because that's what it effectively is. Eligibility criteria don't mean much if anyone can just unilaterally decide that they've met them, with no challenge or verification. The same goes for any other special category.
Original post by tazarooni89
I think before discussing whether trans-women should be able to participate in a women's event, the more fundamental issue to consider is whether we even need women's events in the first place. We have sex-segregation in other sports for obvious reasons, but in chess there are plenty of men and women who are evenly matched, and there's no reason why they shouldn't compete together. As such, most chess competitions are mixed and most titles are gender-neutral. Why not make them all like that?

Well, the fact of the matter is that chess is still an extremely male-dominated sport. There has never been a female World Champion. Only one woman has ever been in the world's top 10, and only three have ever been in the world's top 100. I don't really know why. Maybe women are innately less likely to be interested in a game about war and battle, or they might face sociocultural barriers to entry, or there may be some small advantage in being biologically male after all. (It's interesting to note that women tend to fare better against men in online chess where they aren't told their opponent's gender, compared to over-the-table chess). Whatever the reasons, it still seems that in order for a woman to reach the same level as a man in elite chess, she needs to be more exceptional than he does.

I suppose we have women's events and titles because FIDE has decided that it's worth recognising and rewarding females for being just as exceptional, even if it doesn't actually result in them reaching the same level as men. It may also be a way of encouraging women into chess and increasing their visibility and representation. It's still a somewhat debated issue though. Some women reject titles like "WGM" (Woman Grandmaster) and consider them patronising. Some people believe that women's only events might lower the ambitions of women from competing against and matching men at the highest level. I don't really know enough about this to form a strong opinion myself.

My view is this: If we are to have women-only events and titles, then it makes more sense for the eligibility criteria to be based on something objective (e.g. biological sex) rather than purely being a matter of self-identification. Self-identification just means that men can become eligible simply by saying they're trans, even if they're not really. In that case the event may as well just be billed as gender-neutral, because that's what it effectively is. Eligibility criteria don't mean much if anyone can just unilaterally decide that they've met them, with no challenge or verification. The same goes for any other special category.

I can understand you’re point of view but I think I’d (Toad) lean more to scrapping gender categories for a sports like chess, or if we’re going to group people based on biological sex, do it for every sport and not only some.
Original post by Notnek

Agreed as usual.
I can understand you’re point of view but I think I’d (Toad) lean more to scrapping gender categories for a sports like chess, or if we’re going to group people based on biological sex, do it for every sport and not only some.

I think before scrapping sex-based categories entirely, I'd probably want to understand exactly why women are so underrepresented in chess, because it all depends. If it's due to biological disadvantage, I think sex-based categories are useful just as they are in other sports. If it's due to systemic social and cultural barriers, I'd rather work on removing those barriers to the point that women become well represented, instead of just plastering over the problem with sex-based categories or female quotas. If it's due to women innately being less interested in chess, I don't think that's a problem that even needs solving. I suppose FIDE probably has better understanding of all of this than we do though.

One thing I don't understand though, is the idea that categorisation by biological sex is deemed to be exclusionary to trans people. A trans woman can still compete in all the mixed-sex chess tournaments, and is still able to earn any of the gender-neutral titles. They're eligible for all the same things that all other biological males are, so how are they any more excluded?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending