The Student Room Group

Transgender women banned from women's chess events

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tazarooni89
It's interesting you say that "it depends on the reasons why the players want that", because when I asked you about why transgender people wouldn't want to be segregated by sex, you said "It's irrelevant to the point, so I am not sure why you are asking?".

So when transgender people don't want to be segregated by sex, the reasons don't matter, because "Ultimately my point is that transgender people dont want to be segregated by their sex." Whereas if people don't want to be segregated by gender identity, now the reasons do matter, and you reserve the right to deem those reasons to be insufficient. Why the double standard?

When I say that it "should depend on the reason(s) why players would want that", I am thinking of situations where people want segregation but for toxic and hateful reasons (e.g. think of historic race based segregation).

The reasons you presented earlier, for why transgender people don't want to be segregated by their sex, don't fall under that category and were therefore irrelevant.
Original post by SHallowvale
When I say that it "should depend on the reason(s) why players would want that", I am thinking of situations where people want segregation but for toxic and hateful reasons (e.g. think of historic race based segregation).

The reasons you presented earlier, for why transgender people don't want to be segregated by their sex, don't fall under that category and were therefore irrelevant.

So presumably if their reason was simply “I think sex is more important than gender identity, so I feel disrespected being segregated by gender identity rather than sex” (i.e. the same as what you’ve given for the reverse) that would constitute a valid reason, in your opinion?
Reply 362
Time to unwatch this thread. What could have been an interesting debate has become just about as exciting as watching 2 goldfish swimming around in a small bowl. We wanted more than what should be the deciding definition because you have both proved that you can continue that kind of ideological argument for centuries and more of an intellectual argument based on scientific studies relating to the differences if any between a male and female brain that might explain the ruling.
Wishful thinking!
Original post by Euapp
This thread has been completely derailed !! It wasn’t about who’s idea of segregation was the most valid in a general sense and most definitely not about homophobic or transphobic ideas as sprouted by@Zephyr0221 in post #360, but why specifically in chess this decision has been made. This I’m right your right argument that has been going on for days is just tedious and doesn’t shed any light on the situation.

I’m not transphobic I’m just sharing my opinion is it wrong? There must have been voting right to either keep trans woman in woman’s chess or not? I completely agree with you lot that trans woman should be allowed in woman’s chess league. But stop putting the label of transphobic. Talking about why they made the decision was because “When women started to play they were at a much lower level and so all female tournaments started to get organised, which resulted in women achieving 'female' ratings.” from guardian news. It’s probably have to with ratings and they don’t want to mix it up.
Original post by Euapp
Time to unwatch this thread. What could have been an interesting debate has become just about as exciting as watching 2 goldfish swimming around in a small bowl. We wanted more than what should be the deciding definition because you have both proved that you can continue that kind of ideological argument for centuries and more of an intellectual argument based on scientific studies relating to the differences if any between a male and female brain that might explain the ruling.
Wishful thinking!

From what I infer is because in old days woman started playing chess later than men. And I think to keep the ratings aka “elo” in chess.com for woman fair they decided to keep it separated in old days. But now I don’t think it holds a valid point however, when you go check the database for grandmasters there are more male then female. What I can infer is that to keep men from winning more tournaments/prizes they decided to keep it separate? But this is a difference between male and female not sure about transgender being an issue
Original post by Zephyr0221
I’m not transphobic I’m just sharing my opinion is it wrong? There must have been voting right to either keep trans woman in woman’s chess or not? I completely agree with you lot that trans woman should be allowed in woman’s chess league. But stop putting the label of transphobic. Talking about why they made the decision was because “When women started to play they were at a much lower level and so all female tournaments started to get organised, which resulted in women achieving 'female' ratings.” from guardian news. It’s probably have to with ratings and they don’t want to mix it up.

No, there was no voting amongst GM's and WGM's. This decision has been made by FIDE, seemingly without consultation from affected parties.
I'm going to unwatch this thread now. It's derailed from the original topic and I feel like I've said all that I had to. I still stand by my earlier stance.
Reply 367
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I'm going to unwatch this thread now. It's derailed from the original topic and I feel like I've said all that I had to. I still stand by my earlier stance.

Exactly
Original post by sleep_supremacy
No, there was no voting amongst GM's and WGM's. This decision has been made by FIDE, seemingly without consultation from affected parties.

Honestly, it doesn’t affect me in anyway so imma leave this as well folks.
Original post by tazarooni89
So presumably if their reason was simply “I think sex is more important than gender identity, so I feel disrespected being segregated by gender identity rather than sex” (i.e. the same as what you’ve given for the reverse) that would constitute a valid reason, in your opinion?

Yes.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Lots of threads and stuff on this kind of thing recently but this one makes zero sense to me, how does biological sex give you and advantage for a sport like chess? I can see how it does for most other sports hence me mostly agreeing with the sporting bodies, but not this one.

Can read more on the story here: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-66538328 (also on sky news, channel 4 news etc)

I don't agree with the body’s move on this one to the point where I didn’t even know that for a game like chess, there are male and female categories (as opposed to it all being mixed sex) but then again, I don’t play chess competitively.

If it is timed chess, than the physical time taken to move pieces, and hit the timer is a factor. If you are physically able to do it faster, it offers a very small advantage in conserving time
Original post by BankaiGintoki
If it is timed chess, than the physical time taken to move pieces, and hit the timer is a factor. If you are physically able to do it faster, it offers a very small advantage in conserving time

Yeah but is that advantage really significant enough? Like it would be in most other sports.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Yeah but is that advantage really significant enough? Like it would be in most other sports.

I agree it wont be significant and it wont be valid since there would be small physical differences between any 2 chess players
Original post by BankaiGintoki
I agree it wont be significant and it wont be valid since there would be small physical differences between any 2 chess players

Yeah I agree.
Reply 374
On the split league it’s probably worth saying that todays political climate will provide women far more sponsorship than in a mixed league where meritocracy will be a bigger factor in corporate funding than being able to tick the diversity box. Currently, there are advantages to fighting the woke fight without winning it.
I missed this thread, but looking through it I think a lot of people have missed the reason why women's competitions in chess exist in the first place. It's not because of physical advantage, it's because (especially in younger chess) women are deterred from playing chess because:
a) there aren't many female chess players, so girls and women competing in open leagues are almost always surrounded by men
b) a lot of the men (again, especially at younger levels) are basically incels and treat women who play chess awfully

As a result, it makes sense for women to be able to compete in both women's and open competitions (the case right now). How should this system account for trans people?

Trans women, especially those who transition as adults, face these disadvantages to a lesser extent than cis women because men didn't treat them like **** for being women. So it sort of makes sense to ban them from women's competitions, especially to deter people from lying to gain competitive advantage. However, the decision completely lacks nuance and comes across as straightforwardly transphobic.

Trans men obviously can no longer compete in women's competitions, so converting their titles to the equivalent open title makes perfect sense and has basically been uncontroversial as far as I can tell.
Are they still banned?
I think current chaos surrounding transgender people is good. Even though it appears painful, what is happening is that a miserable group of people are stepping out of the shadows and carving a space for themselves in society. And everyone should have such a space.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending