The Student Room Group

Transgender women banned from women's chess events

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by artful_lounger
The point is that it's exactly the same as the "refusing to bake a cake for gay couple" case. It's not about the actual premise, it's to create a precedent to allow further and continued prejudice and discrimination against a marginalised community. First they can't compete in "physical" sports. Then they can't compete in any kind of activity. First they can't use bathrooms of the gender they identify with. Then they aren't allowed to use public bathrooms at all.

One state in the US undertook to enact new laws barring trans state employees from receiving healthcare coverage relating to their transition. Do you know how many trans people would have actually been affected by that? One. The actual cost to the state was negligible, compared to the over a million dollars spent litigating it. It was purely to spite the individual for who they are.

Many of the US states creating laws to ban trans high school athletes from competing have likewise single digit numbers of trans athletes in consideration, compared to the thousands of cis athletes. In many cases the trans athletes are not even winning competitions so it's clearly not due to an apparent competitive edge. Following from my earlier point about it just being a way to get the wedge in the door, this also has cut both ways as one notable trans wrestler was barred from competing in mens wrestling competitions because he was trans. He was forced to compete in womens wrestling where he did perform better. Do you think this is "fair"?

It's always just the first step and the fact that you all buy into it at every turn and defend it is dismaying to say the least. Not to mention in ever case, logically inconsistent other than the logical consistency of it being a way to discriminate against a minority community.

I am focusing on women's sports only and the rest is a slippery slope argument that may or may not happen.

Many of the US states creating laws to ban trans high school athletes from competing have likewise single digit numbers of trans athletes in consideration, compared to the thousands of cis athletes. In many cases the trans athletes are not even winning competitions so it's clearly not due to an apparent competitive edge.

The number of trans athletes competing is too small to make an argument related to them not winning much. The best we can do is make a statistical analysis based on all the data.

He was forced to compete in womens wrestling where he did perform better. Do you think this is "fair"?

No I don't think it's fair and that's why I said this is not a simple argument. I don't think there is a good solution but I think that allowing trans women to compete in all women's sports is going to cause more division than it solves. Equality for everyone is of course the ideal but it needs to be thought out carefully.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
I think before scrapping sex-based categories entirely, I'd probably want to understand exactly why women are so underrepresented in chess, because it all depends. If it's due to biological disadvantage, I think sex-based categories are useful just as they are in other sports. If it's due to systemic social and cultural barriers, I'd rather work on removing those barriers to the point that women become well represented, instead of just plastering over the problem with sex-based categories or female quotas. If it's due to women innately being less interested in chess, I don't think that's a problem that even needs solving. I suppose FIDE probably has better understanding of all of this than we do though.

One thing I don't understand though, is the idea that categorisation by biological sex is deemed to be exclusionary to trans people. A trans woman can still compete in all the mixed-sex chess tournaments, and is still able to earn any of the gender-neutral titles. They're eligible for all the same things that all other biological males are, so how are they any more excluded?

I think that we could maybe do both but maybe that’s me being unreasonably optimistic.

I can see how it can exclusionary.

Yeah I mean if that’s what the FIDE have decided then be it but it doesn’t really make sense to me.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I think that we could maybe do both but maybe that’s me being unreasonably optimistic.

Sorry I didn't understand what you mean. Do both of what?

I can see how it can exclusionary.

It doesn't seem to me that trans people are being prevented from participating in the sport. They're eligible to participate in the same way that any other member of their biological sex would be, instead of the opposite biological sex. That's how it works for all the rest of us, isn't it? I can't go and compete in a women's-only tournament either. So in what way would you say this is exclusionary towards them?

Yeah I mean if that’s what the FIDE have decided then be it but it doesn’t really make sense to me.

Which part are you saying doesn't make sense to you? The fact that a women's category exists at all? Or the fact that the women's category is based on biology rather than identity?
(edited 8 months ago)
There would be no female game if they didn't have their own protected league. There is only one female player in top 150 iirc and she is at 55. All tourneys would be dominated by men otherwise.

They shouldn't have to have their own league but until we see more female grandmasters, which is entirely plausible, their league needs to be protected.

Edit: the first female player is actually rank 123 in the world with elo 2628 with only 12 female players over the 2500 mens gm threshold. But there are over 40 women's gm with elo over 2300 threshold.
(edited 8 months ago)
Sorry I didn't understand what you mean. Do both of what?

It doesn't seem to me that trans people are being prevented from participating in the sport. They're eligible to participate in the same way that any other member of their biological sex would be, instead of the opposite biological sex. That's how it works for all the rest of us, isn't it? I can't go and compete in a women's-only tournament either. So in what way would you say this is exclusionary towards them?

Which part are you saying doesn't make sense to you? The fact that a women's category exists at all? Or the fact that the women's category is based on biology rather than identity?

Make chess mixed sex (scrap open vs female categories) and encourage more women to play chess but as I said I could be unrealistic here.

They don’t identify as male but female hence why I can see it being exclusionary for them to not take part in women’s sports (the genuine/most transwomen) despite me mostly agreeing with sporting bodies that transwomen shouldn’t take part in women’s sport (due to unfair biological advantages and how those unfair biological advantages makes the game unequal for ciswomen).

The fact that I don’t see the justification for banning transwomen in women’s chess. Unlike for other sports as a fail to see what unfair (biological) advantages transwomen would have over ciswomen in a sports like chess unlike in sport such rowing, cycling or swimming. Also the fact that a woman category exists at all could also be a part of it.

I’m not opposed to people being grouped based on biological sex if that’s what sporting bodies want to do but you might as well do it for every sport that this point if even for a sport like chess biological sex is an issue (transwomen playing against ciswomen is an issue).
(edited 8 months ago)
I think before discussing whether trans-women should be able to participate in a women's event, the more fundamental issue to consider is whether we even need women's events in the first place. We have sex-segregation in other sports for obvious reasons, but in chess there are plenty of men and women who are evenly matched, and there's no reason why they shouldn't compete together. As such, most chess competitions are mixed and most titles are gender-neutral. Why not make them all like that?

Well, the fact of the matter is that chess is still an extremely male-dominated sport. There has never been a female World Champion. Only one woman has ever been in the world's top 10, and only three have ever been in the world's top 100. I don't really know why. Maybe women are innately less likely to be interested in a game about war and battle, or they might face sociocultural barriers to entry, or there may be some small advantage in being biologically male after all. (It's interesting to note that women tend to fare better against men in online chess where they aren't told their opponent's gender, compared to over-the-table chess). Whatever the reasons, it still seems that in order for a woman to reach the same level as a man in elite chess, she needs to be more exceptional than he does.

I suppose we have women's events and titles because FIDE has decided that it's worth recognising and rewarding females for being just as exceptional, even if it doesn't actually result in them reaching the same level as men. It may also be a way of encouraging women into chess and increasing their visibility and representation. It's still a somewhat debated issue though. Some women reject titles like "WGM" (Woman Grandmaster) and consider them patronising. Some people believe that women's only events might lower the ambitions of women from competing against and matching men at the highest level. I don't really know enough about this to form a strong opinion myself.

My view is this: If we are to have women-only events and titles, then it makes more sense for the eligibility criteria to be based on something objective (e.g. biological sex) rather than purely being a matter of self-identification. Self-identification just means that men can become eligible simply by saying they're trans, even if they're not really. In that case the event may as well just be billed as gender-neutral, because that's what it effectively is. Eligibility criteria don't mean much if anyone can just unilaterally decide that they've met them, with no challenge or verification. The same goes for any other special category.

Trans women already play chess, and have been playing for years without incident (per my knowledge). Yosha Iglesias is one example.

From what I've seen and heard, it's sociocultural boundaries over chess being a 'gentleman's game' that limit women from participating. Historically, only men were allowed to compete, so men walk a well-worn road. Women are still paving it. Another is the unfortunately prevalent harassment they face at events. I haven't seen any objective superiority of men over women in chess. Again, see the Polgars.

The existence of women-only titles has been a widely-debated issue for a while now. Some say that it provides a bigger platform for them, others argue it promotes unnecessary segregation.

Side note: Open tournaments are gender-neutral.
Original post by artful_lounger
The point is that it's exactly the same as the "refusing to bake a cake for gay couple" case. It's not about the actual premise, it's to create a precedent to allow further and continued prejudice and discrimination against a marginalised community. First they can't compete in "physical" sports. Then they can't compete in any kind of activity. First they can't use bathrooms of the gender they identify with. Then they aren't allowed to use public bathrooms at all.

I'm not sure I'm following this. Who is saying that trans people can't compete in physical sports, or can't compete in chess or other activities?

It seems to me that all these sporting bodies are saying is that segregation in the sport is by biological sex, not gender self-identification. So they're more than welcome to compete in the category of their biological sex - just like the rest of us. What's prejudicial or discriminatory about that?
(edited 8 months ago)
To be a woman grandmaster the elo required is less than a man's grandmaster (elo of 2500 to 2300.) So a transwoman either an elo of 2400, would you consider them a GM or not?
Original post by Talkative Toad
Make chess mixed sex (scrap open vs female categories) and encourage more women to play chess but as I said I could be unrealistic here.

Yes well, that would be great in an ideal world, and if it's achievable in practice then I'd agree with you.

They don’t identify as male but female hence why I can see it being exclusionary for them to not take part in women’s sports (the genuine/most transwomen) despite me mostly agreeing with sporting bodies that transwomen shouldn’t take part in women’s sport (due to unfair biological advantages and how those unfair biological advantages makes the game unequal for ciswomen).

Is that how being trans works? I thought they socially identify as women in terms of gender, but still recognise that they are biologically male. Surely they cannot identify as biologically female; if they did, they would simply be mistaken, wouldn't they?

The fact that I don’t see the justification for banning transwomen in women’s chess. Unlike for other sports as a fail to see what unfair (biological) advantages transwomen would have over ciswomen in a sports like chess unlike in sport such rowing, cycling or swimming. Also the fact that a woman category exists at all could also be a part of it.

I suppose the justification is that a women's category isn't really a women's category at all if there's no restriction on who can compete. If any man can make himself eligible just by uttering the words "I identify as a woman" (with no challenge or verification needed), then the competition is effectively open to all who wish to take part, and so it may as well just be billed as open-entry. But as I say, the more fundamental issue here is whether the women's category should even exist at all. If we decide that it shouldn't and all competitions should be gender neutral, then the issue regarding trans-people solves itself.

I’m not opposed to people being grouped based on biological sex if that’s what sporting bodies want to do but you might as well do it for every sport that this point if even for a sport like chess biological sex is an issue (transwomen playing against ciswomen is an issue).

I suppose the issue isn't really transwomen playing against ciswomen (as it would be in say kickboxing). The issue is more about women being heavily underrepresented for some reason, and trying to find the most effective way to solve that.
I can see the argument in favour of having separate male and female tournaments to encourage more women to start playing chess, but I don't see what difference barring transwomen would make.

Transwomen make up a tiny percentage of the population. It is really going to make a huge difference, in terms of numbers?
Reply 30
Original post by SHallowvale
I can see the argument in favour of having separate male and female tournaments to encourage more women to start playing chess, but I don't see what difference barring transwomen would make.

Transwomen make up a tiny percentage of the population. It is really going to make a huge difference, in terms of numbers?

Not unless there's a significant advantage which doesn't seem likely in chess.

For other sports like sprinting for example it would make a difference because the advantage is very significant. I posted this example in another thread:

In the list of the best 10,000 sprinters in the world, around the top 2000 fastest are men and the full list includes around 1% of women. So imagine that every year one elite man out of the 10,000 was allowed to compete in the women's category. They would automatically be in the top 100 (most likely much higher) and there would be a 20% chance that the man would be faster than every woman in the world and win most races.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Notnek
Not unless there's a significant advantage which doesn't seem likely in chess.

For other sports like sprinting for example it would make a difference because the advantage is very significant. I posted this example in another thread:

In the list of the best 10,000 sprinters in the world, around the top 2000 fastest are men and the full list includes around 1% of women. So imagine that every year one elite man out of the 10,000 was allowed to compete in the women's category. They would automatically be in the top 100 (most likely much higher) and there would be a 20% chance that the man would be faster than every woman in the world and win most races.

Is there that advantage in chess?

A quick Google found a UK study which suggested a potential, but small, advantage male players have over female players but it doesn't strike as something that would make a practically difference.
(edited 8 months ago)
Is there that advantage in chess?

A quick Google found a UK study which suggested a potential, but small, advantage male players have over female players but it doesn't strike as something that would make a practically difference.

I haven't found anything significant till date. Chess is a game of memory and intelligence; these traits are not restricted to males only. This new ruling makes no sense.

It probably wouldn't make much difference if transwomen competed in female tournaments.

I think the issue is that if you allow transwomen to compete, you're also effectively allowing any male person (trans or not) to compete if they want to, as there's no way to tell the difference between a man and a transwoman other than just taking their word for it. And if some men are willing to lie about being trans in order to get into these "easier" tournaments and win the prizes on offer, that could well end up making quite a difference to the women they were intended for.
It probably wouldn't make much difference if transwomen competed in female tournaments.

I think the issue is that if you allow transwomen to compete, you're also effectively allowing any male person (trans or not) to compete if they want to, as there's no way to tell the difference between a man and a transwoman other than just taking their word for it. And if some men are willing to lie about being trans in order to get into these "easier" tournaments and win the prizes on offer, that could well end up making quite a difference to the women they were intended for.

We've already established that there is no significant advantage between men and women intelligence-wise, so how is this easier? Also, the prizes for women's tournaments are (unfortunately) much lower than their men's counterparts for some inane reason, so I don't see how this is advantageous either.

There are always going to be people who prefer to cheat in order to get ahead. You cannot penalize a whole group for it. Even more ironically, all the major chess cheating incidents I can recall have been done by men.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by sleep_supremacy
We've already established that there is no significant advantage between men and women intelligence-wise, so how is this easier?

Because the top chess players are (for whatever reason) mostly men. Obviously a tournament will become less competitive if all those men are excluded from it. It's easier to have to beat Hou Yifan to win the tournament than it is to have to beat Magnus Carlsen.

Also the prizes for women's tournaments are (unfortunately) much lower than their men's counterparts for some inane reason, so I don't see how this is advantageous either.

Because a person can make more money by winning prizes in both the open and the women's tournaments (as opposed to just the open ones).
Reply 36
Tbh if it’s just a question that women aren’t at the men’s level yet due to historic factors, I’m afraid I still believe that there shouldn’t be men’s and women’s events but just one category. Publicity campaigns and increasing the number of chess clubs in schools etc should be used to encourage girls to play. If short term they loose out on financial gains I’m afraid it’s just up to them to up their game and I would have thought the prize money would be a motivating factor . There is no biological or societal reason in todays world (maybe not the case in some Muslim countries) to main male and female competitions and as such the trans issue shouldn’t even exist in chess.

Not necessarily. You could impose restrictions on access to the tournaments to make it harder for people to lie.
Not necessarily. You could impose restrictions on access to the tournaments to make it harder for people to lie.

What sort of restrictions do you have in mind?
Reply 39
Original post by sleep_supremacy
We've already established that there is no significant advantage between men and women intelligence-wise, so how is this easier? Also, the prizes for women's tournaments are (unfortunately) much lower than their men's counterparts for some inane reason, so I don't see how this is advantageous either.

There are always going to be people who prefer to cheat in order to get ahead. You cannot penalize a whole group for it. Even more ironically, all the major chess cheating incidents I can recall have been done by men.

Prize money is always linked to the commercial value of a sporting event and the revenues it generates. On the whole male sports command greater audiences and therefore generate greater advertising revenues whether it be football, rugby or even chess. Hence the difference in prize money and salaries of professional sports players.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending