The Student Room Group

Transgender women banned from women's chess events

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Euapp
Prize money is always linked to the commercial value of a sporting event and the revenues it generates. On the whole male sports command greater audiences and therefore generate greater advertising revenues whether it be football, rugby or even chess. Hence the difference in prize money and salaries of professional sports players.

I agree with that. I just said that I didn't like it.
Original post by tazarooni89
What sort of restrictions do you have in mind?

One restriction could be to provide documentation showing that you have become transitioning, e.g. a GRC or an amended drivers license.

Alternatively, there could be a system where players who do not genuinely live by their gender could be called into question. For example if someone claims to be a transwomen but lives their life otherwise (outside of chess) then that would be grounds to withdraw access.
Because the top chess players are (for whatever reason) mostly men. Obviously a tournament will become less competitive if all those men are excluded from it. It's easier to have to beat Hou Yifan to win the tournament than it is to have to beat Magnus Carlsen.

Because a person can make more money by winning prizes in both the open and the women's tournaments (as opposed to just the open ones).

I can't speak for the first - have they ever played a match together? I can't recall. I do however remember a blitz game between Magnus Carlsen and Judit Polgar somewhere in 2022 (it was either before or during Candidates 2022) where she blew him off the board in jst 19 moves, so it's not a lost case.

I guess. But again, I can't recall this ever being done - everything that comes to mind was done by a man, in a male event.
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I haven't found anything significant till date. Chess is a game of memory and intelligence; these traits are not restricted to males only. This new ruling makes no sense.

Indeed. It's like how Miss Italy has banned transwomen from competitions. I guess, biologically, men have an advantage over women in being... beautiful looking women? 😂
Reply 44
I agree with that. I just said that I didn't like it.

I’d like women to earn more, but for this to happen they’ll have to make their sports more attractive to the audience. The money has to come from somewhere, and whilst the men at the moment are generating the revenue streams I don’t think it would be entirely fair to ask them to subsidise the women, although some specific tax that is used to inject into grass routes sports and the promotion of female sport might be worth it.
Original post by SHallowvale
One restriction could be to provide documentation showing that you have become transitioning, e.g. a GRC or an amended drivers license.

And what, in your view, should a person need to do to get those things, other than just declaring themselves to be trans?

Alternatively, there could be a system where players who do not genuinely live by their gender could be called into question. For example if someone claims to be a transwomen but lives their life otherwise (outside of chess) then that would be grounds to withdraw access.

How exactly do you define "living life as a man" or "living life as a woman"?
Reply 46
Indeed. It's like how Miss Italy has banned transwomen from competitions. I guess, biologically, men have an advantage over women in being... beautiful looking women? 😂

They obviously don’t, but people are saying that she didn’t win because of her beauty but because of her personality and the way she struggled and overcame adversity in the form of trans prejudice. This obviously is something that any cis women doesn’t have the possibility do, so whilst I actually welcome the fact that a beauty pageant does try to look further than skin deep physical beauty I can see why cis women might argue that they are having their domain unfairly entered into. Complicated !
And what, in your view, should a person need to do to get those things, other than just declaring themselves to be trans?

How exactly do you define "living life as a man" or "living life as a woman"?

What do people need to do? Depends on the document. GRCs, for example, currently have several large hurdles to jump through. I think those hurdles should be eased.

Living their life as a man / woman could mean referring to themselves as a man / woman, referring to themselves as transgender, changing their name, changing how they present themselves, etc.

I genuinely couldn't tell you at this point :lol: To bring it back to the original topic of this thread, I still find this ruling absurd. Having established that there is no significant gap in intelligence or memory between men and women, I don't see why transwomen in particular are being excluded.

I suppose FIDE will use the angle that it's meant to prevent men entering women's tournaments and cheating there, but all notable cheating incidents have been done by men (give me some time and I'll pull up the names and matches), so I again fail to see how this policy is meant to be 'helping'.
Reply 49
The whole chess sex segregation issue to me is just baffling. Women have spent decades trying to prove that intellectually they are equal to men and then this happens!!
I can't speak for the first - have they ever played a match together? I can't recall. I do however remember a blitz game between Magnus Carlsen and Judit Polgar somewhere in 2022 (it was either before or during Candidates 2022) where she blew him off the board in jst 19 moves, so it's not a lost case.

Well sure, it's not always the case that the better player will win a game. Players are human after all, they do make random mistakes, especially in blitz chess. Maybe Hou Yifan could beat Magnus Carlsen on a good day as well, I don't know. But that's kind of besides the point. Overall, a women-only tournament is still going to be easier than a mixed tournament, all else being equal.
What do people need to do? Depends on the document. GRCs, for example, currently have several large hurdles to jump through. I think those hurdles should be eased.

So what, specifically, do you think the hurdles should be, such that they are easy for real trans people to get but still difficult for people to fake being trans?
Living their life as a man / woman could mean referring to themselves as a man / woman, referring to themselves as transgender

That doesn't sound particularly difficult for a person to fake being trans, if all they have to do is publicly say that they're trans from time to time.
changing their name, changing how they present themselves, etc.

But then you'd surely be discriminating against any trans people who decided not to change their name, or the way they dress etc.
(edited 8 months ago)
So what, specifically, do you think the hurdles should be, such that they are easy for real trans people to get but not fake trans people?

That doesn't sound particularly difficult for a person to fake being trans, if all they have to do is publicly say that they're trans from time to time.

But then you'd surely be discriminating against any trans people who decided not to change their name, or the way they dress etc.

The proposals made by the GRR bill are a good start, I think.

I don't think so. It's harder to fake being trans and maintain that identity than to simply say "I am transgender" and be done with it.

They were examples of what someone could do, not what they would have to do.
The proposals made by the GRR bill are a good start, I think.

Which is what? Just sign a piece of paper that you've been living life as your acquired gender? What's difficult to fake about that? And again it comes down to, how exactly do you define "living life as a man / woman"?

I don't think so. It's harder to fake being trans and maintain that identity than to simply say "I am transgender" and be done with it.

That depends how rigorously you're able to check whether they're "maintaining that identity" or not. How many times do I need to publicly declare "I am transgender" or "I am a woman" to be believed? What if I'm genderfluid and only sometimes identify as a woman?

They were examples of what someone could do, not what they would have to do.

Well then they don't answer my question.
The question was: How exactly do you define "living life as a man" or "living life as a woman"?
(edited 8 months ago)
Which is what? Just sign a piece of paper that you've been living life as your acquired gender? What's difficult to fake about that? And again it comes down to, how exactly do you define "living life as a man / woman"?

Well that depends how rigorously you're able to check whether they're "maintaining that identity" or not. How many times do I need to publicly declare "I am transgender" or "I am a woman" to be believed? What if I'm genderfluid and only sometimes identify as a woman?

Well then, what would they have to do?

The GRR requires proof that you have lived aa your gender for 3-6 months and a declaration that you would continue to live as that gender for the rest of your life. It also introduces penalties for fake applications. It's not exactly straightforward to fake that.

I need not give ultra specific answers to the exact ins and outs of how these restrictions could work in practice. The point is that options are available to help make sure that "fake" transwomen do not take part in women's chess. It isn't something that would have to be taken 'at face value', if you will.
Reply 55

I guess. But again, I can't recall this ever being done - everything that comes to mind was done by a man, in a male event.

Magnus and yifan have played 8 over the board games, earliest in 2008 and latest being in 2021.
Magnus won 7, they drew 1. Although it should be noted Magnus had white in 6 of these games which comes with an advantage at the top levels.

On the topic of a separate woman's section I think it's a good thing to promote the game and to get more woman playing. The huge gender imbalance within the game(I've heard the figure 15:1 thrown about but have no source to back this up, anecdotally from my own unis chess society and tournaments I've been to I'd say it's worse) means that they'd be incredibly under represented if there was only one open section. It would make it harder for woman to earn money within the game and also take away role models for young girls breaking into the game.

I also don't really see the point in stopping trans woman competing in this category. There's been a separate woman's section for years and there's never been an issue. I just don't see it being an issue.
(edited 8 months ago)

This could be a solution and I'd support it for sport such as this one.
I genuinely couldn't tell you at this point :lol: To bring it back to the original topic of this thread, I still find this ruling absurd. Having established that there is no significant gap in intelligence or memory between men and women, I don't see why transwomen in particular are being excluded.

I suppose FIDE will use the angle that it's meant to prevent men entering women's tournaments and cheating there, but all notable cheating incidents have been done by men (give me some time and I'll pull up the names and matches), so I again fail to see how this policy is meant to be 'helping'.

Exactly. As I've said before, I don't see how this decision makes any sense unlike for the other/most other sports. I'll have to disagree with the sporting body on this one and might even go as far as saying that transphobia (I don't use this word lightly if ever) has a role to play when it comes to this decision (but that's just speculation on my part, not the truth) but I guess the FIDE and professional Chess players know best. If someone with epertise in chess knows how transwomen and ciswomen playing together is a problem (as in how it makes the sport unfair like it does for the other sports where they've been banned) then I'm all ears.
The GRR requires proof that you have lived aa your gender for 3-6 months and a declaration that you would continue to live as that gender for the rest of your life. It also introduces penalties for fake applications. It's not exactly straightforward to fake that.

How is that not straightforward to fake, if all I have to do is sign a piece of paper saying I've lived as my acquired gender, and intend do so so permanently? Even if I'm lying, how is anyone ever going to prove that without being able to read my mind?

I need not give ultra specific answers to the exact ins and outs of how these restrictions could work in practice. The point is that options are available to help make sure that "fake" transwomen do not take part in women's chess. It isn't something that would have to be taken 'at face value', if you will.

Well then you haven't actually demonstrated that any such options really are available, that would reliably distinguish between a "real" trans person and a "fake" one. The criteria you've mentioned are all either easy to fake (e.g. just saying I'm trans enough times), or aren't relevant to all trans people and would incorrectly flag some real ones as being fake (e.g. changing my name / dress).
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
If someone with epertise in chess knows how transwomen and ciswomen playing together is a problem (as in how it makes the sport unfair like it does for the other sports where they've been banned) then I'm all ears.

It's not at all a problem for them to play together. They've always able to play together in mixed tournaments, and still are.

The problem is simply that women are very underrepresented in the sport, and women-only tournaments are a way to try and raise their profile and encourage more of them to start playing. It's probably not a big deal if trans-women take part too, but that makes it very difficult to enforce the main restriction that men can't take part.
How is that not straightforward to fake, if all I have to do is sign a piece of paper saying I've lived as my acquired gender, and intend do so so permanently? Even if I'm lying, how is anyone ever going to prove that without being able to read my mind?

Well then you haven't actually demonstrated that any such options really are available, that would reliably distinguish between a "real" trans person and a "fake" one. The criteria you've mentioned are all either easy to fake (e.g. just saying I'm trans enough times), or aren't relevant to all trans people and would incorrectly flag some real ones as being fake (e.g. changing my name / dress).

This is besides the point now. Your claim was that by allowing transwomen into chess tournaments you "also effectively allowing any male person (trans or not) to compete if they want to". This is not necessarily true. If you applied restrictions to entry you can make it harder for non-trans people ("fake" transgender people, if you will) to participate. It wouldn't simply be the case that anyone could turn up, say "I am a transwoman" and be granted entry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending