The Student Room Group

applying for politics and international relations

hh
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by hahaaddie
hey.

So I’m going into year 13 and I’m considering applying for politics and ir but two universities I like only offer politics so I’d need to write a personal statement for both courses essentially.

Ironically the themes I was going to write in my personal statement are mostly POLITICS based and I don’t think I’d have enough characters to write about IR as well. Do you think this would be a big problem if I don’t mention international relations specifically if I do mention POLITICS in detail . Or is there any advice on how I can tailor the personal statement to both courses.

I don’t want unis to think I haven’t researched my course but it’s difficult when the courses are slightly different. the themes I’ve researched so well are heavily politics based so I’d want to spent most of my PS talking about those.

This is very common and considering how closely related the two courses are it's something that's quite easily done.
Not a problem and very normal, most universities will understand. If you can it might be wise to try to add in an element of international politics to your PS but it's not a game changer if it's missing.
This is something that is occurs quite a bit because of how much overlap there is with the courses, If you have the characters of course you could maybe talk a little bit about the international organisations such as the EU or the UN as a way in which to try and bridge the gap between politics and ir.

I studied both so if you would like any other advice feel free to ask away :smile:

Sasha
Graduate Advocate
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
This is very common and considering how closely related the two courses are it's something that's quite easily done.
Not a problem and very normal, most universities will understand. If you can it might be wise to try to add in an element of international politics to your PS but it's not a game changer if it's missing.

thanks so much! that really helped.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by corourke28
thanks so much! that really helped.

I know !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending