The Student Room Group

do i still have a chance of getting into uni?

i'm about to go into year 13, studying maths, economics and spanish. my year 12 mocks were poor ( b in spanish, d in economics and an e in maths)
which i think was because of my bad mental health and burnout that has caused my grades to drop. ik i have the potential or i wouldn't have chosen these a levels in the first place, but being this far into the course i really don't have faith anymore
idk if i have a chance at getting into a good uni (wanting to study economics and finance or something in that area), so i've been looking at degree apprenticeships but my parents won't let me do that
my goal is to go to uni but i feel like i've messed it up for myself, and now idk what to do? even if i manage to improve my grades before it's time to apply for universities, they probably won't be russel group unis and i had high standards for myself
any advice?
Original post by anon_1202
i'm about to go into year 13, studying maths, economics and spanish. my year 12 mocks were poor ( b in spanish, d in economics and an e in maths)
which i think was because of my bad mental health and burnout that has caused my grades to drop. ik i have the potential or i wouldn't have chosen these a levels in the first place, but being this far into the course i really don't have faith anymore
idk if i have a chance at getting into a good uni (wanting to study economics and finance or something in that area), so i've been looking at degree apprenticeships but my parents won't let me do that
my goal is to go to uni but i feel like i've messed it up for myself, and now idk what to do? even if i manage to improve my grades before it's time to apply for universities, they probably won't be russel group unis and i had high standards for myself
any advice?

Not all good unis are in the RG.

Plan for a gap year.
Reply 2
Original post by anon_1202
any advice?

Do you have mocks in Year 13 before the UCAS deadline? The sixth form I did went and I managed to get good results and my teachers gave me a higher predicted grade than before.

If you do, then work with the right people who have a goal of succeeding - ask your friends for help or teachers for any assistance. Use the internet and find the right websites or channels that can help you. Download and print the specification (all accessible on the website of the exam boards) and keep track on the topics your good at, you need revisiting and the topics your poor at (use a highlight or a pen for this) - that way you can go back to your weaknesses during your free time or revisit the topics you forgot or haven't been revising enough.

If you don't, the above tips I mentioned can still help. Put in the work and convince your teachers and tell them about the degree you plan to do.

Oh and also, please don't limit yourself to just Russell Group universities. Yes they are good, but there are good universities outside of the RG. Check the University of London group - you have Royal Holloway, Queen's Mary, Birkbeck and University College London (UCL).

All the best
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
sorry for the late reply,

thanks so much for your tips, they'll definitely help :smile:
in my sixth form, we have fortnightly assessments for each subject, so i'll try and do really well in those to try and improve my predicted grades.
i've been looking at unis and definitely see your point about good ones outside of the rg, will try and keep my options open for sure
Original post by KH29
Do you have mocks in Year 13 before the UCAS deadline? The sixth form I did went and I managed to get good results and my teachers gave me a higher predicted grade than before.

If you do, then work with the right people who have a goal of succeeding - ask your friends for help or teachers for any assistance. Use the internet and find the right websites or channels that can help you. Download and print the specification (all accessible on the website of the exam boards) and keep track on the topics your good at, you need revisiting and the topics your poor at (use a highlight or a pen for this) - that way you can go back to your weaknesses during your free time or revisit the topics you forgot or haven't been revising enough.

If you don't, the above tips I mentioned can still help. Put in the work and convince your teachers and tell them about the degree you plan to do.

Oh and also, please don't limit yourself to just Russell Group universities. Yes they are good, but there are good universities outside of the RG. Check the University of London group - you have Royal Holloway, Queen's Mary, Birkbeck and University College London (UCL).

All the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending