The Student Room Group

Official Year 12 Chat 2023-24

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hawraa.A
What a year we've had!

It's official, we have finally made it out of the vomit-inducing GCSEs and will now have to dip our toes in unfamiliar waters.
So obviously it would be a whole debacle without a friend to turn to and who else is better than other poor humans who have no idea who you are but are in the same situation... well this is where TSR comes in.

Hiya TSRers THIS IS THE OFFICIAL 2023-2024 YEAR 12 CHAT THREAD

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
2. Sixth Form / College or SFC
3. A - Levels or Btecs or other and exam boards if you know them (along with your subject grade at GCSE if you did it)
4. hobbies
5. Extracurriculars for UCAS or otherwise
6. What grades you're aiming for
7. What Uni or Course (if you know)
8. Useful Revision Techniques for yourself

but most importantly don't stress because the worst is yet to come.

1. Patrick, don't really know how I would describe myself tbh
2. College
3. Maths - 9 at GCSE
Computer science - 9 at GCSE
Theology
4. I play drums and guitar (really want to be in a band) and some games.
5. Thinking of doing an EPQ
6. A/A*, probably going to break my mind trying
7. Not sure yet, probably something CS related
8. Revision cards and do the work in lesson and the homework.

Thanks for reading!
Original post by Mashle
Hi nice to meet you... but... blurting?

Blurting is an excellent technique, I really like it! You might know it as a brain dump or something like that, basically, you write down everything you can remember about a topic. It's active recall and helps you to realise what you don't know! I used it a lot for my GCSEs :biggrin:
Original post by scar-the-queen
Ooh nice! I've not read much of it so I can't really tell you that much, but it's set in the same universe as other books written by the author (Leigh Bardugo). I'd recommend reading the Shadow and Bone trilogy first (I'd give it 4/5 stars) then the Six of Crows duology (5/5 literally my favourite books) then the King of Scars duology! Shadow and Bone is about a girl who has the power to remove this dark area which was created agess ago called the fold and essentially save her country from a lot of bad stuff lol. Six of Crows is about a group which goes on heists and tries to save the world from a really bad drug - would recommend!!

Oh cool, thank you! I have heard of Shadow and Bone, but it's probably the TV show as I believe there is one? I don't read a lot of fantasy or things like that but in my reading challenge for the year I have to read a genre I don't often read so may try them out :cool:
Original post by acolourfulhuman
1. Hi, my name is Sude
2. Sixth form
3. History, Law, Psychology, Textiles
4. Reading, writing, sports- basketball, volleyboll and swimming to be specific, dancing, listening to music, drawing/ fashion design, skating, learning languages- spanish and korean
5. I actually don't know what to do but will start some online courses and talk to my school about it-- also I'm interested in studying either law or fashion at university, so if you have any ideas please let me know :smile:
6. A*A*A*A or A*A*AA
7. Law at Cambridge/ Oxford or Fashion Design at Central Saint Martins
8. Usually writing summaries, reading over notes and past papers

hi there! nice to meet you!
What a year we've had!

It's official, we have finally made it out of the vomit-inducing GCSEs and will now have to dip our toes in unfamiliar waters.
So obviously it would be a whole debacle without a friend to turn to and who else is better than other poor humans who have no idea who you are but are in the same situation... well this is where TSR comes in.

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
3. A - Levels or Btecs or other and exam boards if you know them (along with your subject grade at GCSE if you did it)
4. hobbies

1. I'm unhingedpoet and I like writing poetry.
3. Eng lit, Sociology, Biology
4. singing, poetry, art, baking, netflix
5. musical theatre
6. 3 As at least
7. russel unis- publishing/journalism, liberal arts, law and psychology, speech and language therapy
8. braindumping
Hi
I go to City of Portsmouth College sixth form campus
I'm doing A Level sociology, health and social care level 3 CTEC, and level 3 applied psychology.
I already know I'm going to fail everything because of how hard I found GCSEs. The college have given us work to do before we start college and I found it so hard, like my brain just never works, and everything is hard. What advice would you give to help me. What foods would you suggest I eat to help me and give me energy to do better in my subjects.
Thanks
Original post by raindropxox
Oh cool, thank you! I have heard of Shadow and Bone, but it's probably the TV show as I believe there is one? I don't read a lot of fantasy or things like that but in my reading challenge for the year I have to read a genre I don't often read so may try them out :cool:

Yep, the TV show is based on all 3 series I believe! If you try them out, let me know!
Reply 67
What a year we've had!

1. name / about yourself
4. hobbies

1. Tom
2. Sixth Form
3. A Level - Computer Science (OCR), Chemistry (OCR), Maths (Edexcel), Drama (WJEC/Eduquas) - GCSE 9, 9, 8, 7
4. I enjoy Technical Theatre, Film and Photography, especially the creative and design aspects of them.
5. DofE Gold, Film School, Amdram Panto, possibly MOOCs, Gold Residential to Scotland
6. Aiming for straight A's (safe AABB - A*A*AA aspirational)
7. Looking at Production Arts and Technical theatre (LAMDA, Lincoln, Royal Holloway, Rose Bruford)
and looking at Computer Science (With chemistry or maths) at Loughborough, Manchester Met, Russell Group Unis
8. Past Papers, Mapping (Context and Thoughts), Pomodoro Technique
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 68
Original post by raindropxox
Blurting is an excellent technique, I really like it! You might know it as a brain dump or something like that, basically, you write down everything you can remember about a topic. It's active recall and helps you to realise what you don't know! I used it a lot for my GCSEs :biggrin:

Ah, makes sense. I might try that. The name is funny tho XD
1. Nour
2. Sixth Form
3. International A - Levels Edexcel for Math, Bio and Chem(999 for IGCSE)
4. just like to watch dramas, anime play video games
5. idk
6. Hopefully A*A*A*
7. I would like to go to Germany but not sure of what uni
8. Useful Revision Techniques for myself would be to solve lots of past paper questions but at the same time have the markscheme right their so i can check my answer right then and there while also highlighting the important things i found throughout that maybe might not stick or are totally new in regards to after studying from the book.
1. Hi guys, my name is Chayika but everyone calls me Chay!
2. I'm attending the local college doing AS Levels in my first year.
3. I'm doing A Levels- History (A* GCSE) Law, English Lit & lang (A* in both GCSE) and Welsh Baccalaureate (compulsory) WJEC is the exam board.
4. Reading is my past time, playing rugby and musical theatre.
5. I've attended 2 summer schools in year 11, ( Aberystwyth Uni and New College, Oxford!) , hoping to apply to UNIQ and such for next year!
6. I'm aiming for A*A*A*A*
7. Hoping to go to Oxford (New College preferably) for Law with European law (Fourth year abroad in the Netherlands) Or just Law as it is.
8. Cornell notes and active recall are the best study methods right now for me!
(edited 7 months ago)
What a year we've had!

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
4. hobbies

1) Clarita
2)sixth form
3) Maths, Economic and Psychology a levels
4) cooking
5)currently nothing
6) as best as I can
.7) don't know
8) watch vedios
Original post by thankful-scribe
1. Patrick, don't really know how I would describe myself tbh
2. College
3. Maths - 9 at GCSE
Computer science - 9 at GCSE
Theology
4. I play drums and guitar (really want to be in a band) and some games.
5. Thinking of doing an EPQ
6. A/A*, probably going to break my mind trying
7. Not sure yet, probably something CS related
8. Revision cards and do the work in lesson and the homework.

Thanks for reading!

omg im dying to be in a band
1. sarah - ummmmmm idk what can be said, im very into music and very into school
2. sixth form
3. biology (aqa), english lit (edexcel), geography (edexcel), as maths (edexcel) - 9998
4. i sing and play guitar and would be a singer if i really could
5. debate, tutoring year 7s - only september rn so im not really doing a lot
6. A* A* A* (A* in as maths)
7. law
8. blurting and anki
What a year we've had!

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
4. hobbies

1. Muhammad Abdulhakeem
2. TB6
3. Mathematics, Chemistry, psychology, sociology and physics (8, 6s, 5s)
4. talking
5. none still looking
6. A*s
7. University of Bath, and Russel group. engineering
8. reading
1. name / about yourself
Yo I'm Connor. A fun fact about me is I have two pet rats.
I'm at sixth form at the minute.
I'm taking Maths (9), Biology (9), Chemistry (9) and Compsci (7/8 (remark)).
4. hobbies
I like to listen to podcasts. I'm also a big music fan and in a band.
I do free skating, I run my school's Dungeons And Dragons society, I do musical theatre classes and I volunteer at the BHF.
AAA fingers crossed
My dream is to study medicine at leeds or cardiff. Realistically I'll probably go to Aston for med or maybe even an Optometry degree.

Practice questions and notes all the way.
What a year we've had!

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
4. hobbies

Hi, my name is Limbo (just a nickname :colondollar:) and I go to a sixth form (not so good but I do like my teachers). I'm taking Biology (AQA), Chemistry (AQA) and Psychology (AQA).
I got 7s and 8s in my gcses but my maths grades limited me going to my dream 6th forms (not the brightest when it comes to maths :confused:).
I like reading, watching People VS Food (iykyk) and watching horror movies, I used to like art but it's way too time consuming (esp realism).
I haven't started any extra curriculars but I do plan to do my DofE and i plan on applying to a bunch of scientific competitions (since I won a few awards during gcses).
I'm hoping for an AAB/AAA (worst case being ABB/BBB)
I want to go to UCL/KCL/Manchester for either pharmacy, dentistry or medicine (ik my P.S is looking looong)
My key skill is memorisation so im relying on that for biology and psychology and for chem imma just keep doing topic questions after watching utube vids.
(edited 7 months ago)
Hey, I'm Heather
In my GCSEs I got
Maths-8
Biology-8
Chemistry-7
Physics-7
Business-6
Citizenship Studies-6
Sociology-6
English Language-6
English Literature-5
PE- 5

I am studying A-level Maths and Chemistry and Level 3 diploma in Criminology.

I want to be a homicide detective but not totally sure how I'm going to do that yet.
Reply 78
Original post by Blackrose06
Hey, I'm Heather
In my GCSEs I got
Maths-8
Biology-8
Chemistry-7
Physics-7
Business-6
Citizenship Studies-6
Sociology-6
English Language-6
English Literature-5
PE- 5

I am studying A-level Maths and Chemistry and Level 3 diploma in Criminology.

I want to be a homicide detective but not totally sure how I'm going to do that yet.

Hi, nice to meet you!
Well done on your gcses
Hi everyone :smile: I'm Ameenah. I attend a sixth form in London and for GCSEs I got two 9s, three 8s, one 7, two 6s and a 5 so not the best but not the worst haha. For A level's I'm doing biology, psychology, english lit and history which hopefully will lead me into doing psychology in university and then career wise. Being optimistic for now and hoping for A*A*A*A but I guess we'll how the year progresses. I'm also hoping to do an EPQ so workload is going to be slightly intense but hopefully I'll manage. In terms of revision strategies for me, flashcards are my best friend
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest