The Student Room Group

Working full-time 35 hours while studying full-time online

Hi guys,

So I work 35 hours a week full-time and I am planning to start the MSc Psychology conversion course online full-time as well.

I start work at 8:00 - 3:30pm and I work from home all the time, so I'm thinking if I plan my time well and stick to it, I think I will be able to do it!

Do you think this is doable?
Reply 1
yeah its doable if you have a lot of motivation

you'd be working more hours than the average corporate grinder
Reply 2
Haha yep, but I am very motivated to get this masters so I reckon my determination will carry me through!
Reply 3
I work full time doing the same hours as you and do a masters part time. It is tough! It will be hard to study full time on top of working. I'm currently working on my dissertation at the moment and it is really hard balancing it with work. I have used most of my annual leave to focus on assignment deadlines and the dissertation. Have you thought about how you will manage deadlines and the dissertation? Have you got anything in place to mitigate burn out? Will you be able to attend seminars that take place during working hours?
Reply 4
well, I did it, during the the first year of Covid. I was working on 40-hr/week contract completely from home, while doing a master in AI and Deep Learning on-line. I must say it was really tough, I had to study/work late every night and during the weekends too. Thank god, the study finished in only just one year. I couldn't do it any longer :-P
Original post by nishadea
Hi guys,

So I work 35 hours a week full-time and I am planning to start the MSc Psychology conversion course online full-time as well.

I start work at 8:00 - 3:30pm and I work from home all the time, so I'm thinking if I plan my time well and stick to it, I think I will be able to do it!

Do you think this is doable?

@nishadea

Hello! I did my MSc Conversion course at Arden University whilst working full time as a teacher, and I had the Covid 19 pandemic happen right in the middle of it, which oddly for me, worked in my favour reducing my work commitments slightly.

It is definitely doable, I would say that the first two unit's typically require you to spend a lot more time staring at your laptop and getting used to using a program called SPSS (assuming that the unit's are in the same order). SPSS is a statistical analysis program, there is a great book by Coolican called 'Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology' which is really helpful; it will be invaluable for your dissertation down the line.

Most other unit's allow time away from the laptop to pick up a book and learn on the go a bit more as you are not putting numbers into what looks like a spreadsheet.

Best of luck you'll do great! where are you studying?

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
I have experience with doing this. It depends largely on your job. I used to be a store manager in a pizza shop. So quite tiring job. I could easily study on Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday would start getting bit difficult, Thursday was bad and Friday pointless. I would rest on Saturday and study on Sunday.

It is difficult. It often sucks. In physical jobs you get progressively more and more tired.
Now, I work from home,. technically it should be 40h a week, but really I might be working a day a week and then just few random meetings now and then. This is very doable. I am doing courses on Coursera without any issues. Use Anki cards for notes and have it open during work, you can easily sneak in few dozen questions even on busy day.
Reply 7
Original post by Arden University
@nishadea

Hello! I did my MSc Conversion course at Arden University whilst working full time as a teacher, and I had the Covid 19 pandemic happen right in the middle of it, which oddly for me, worked in my favour reducing my work commitments slightly.

It is definitely doable, I would say that the first two unit's typically require you to spend a lot more time staring at your laptop and getting used to using a program called SPSS (assuming that the unit's are in the same order). SPSS is a statistical analysis program, there is a great book by Coolican called 'Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology' which is really helpful; it will be invaluable for your dissertation down the line.

Most other unit's allow time away from the laptop to pick up a book and learn on the go a bit more as you are not putting numbers into what looks like a spreadsheet.

Best of luck you'll do great! where are you studying?

Marc

I'm studying at Manchester Met now, I start off with a core and optional unit in Social Psychology and Forensic Psychology and research methods is the third module I will take and I won't using SPSS but Jamovi instead (well actually I have the choice to use either). I think it is doable, but it is going to be hard work, our programme director is trying to convince people to move to part-time as it is difficult haha, however, I changed from part-time to full-time because of my goals, i don't want to do the course for two years as there are other things I want to pursue. How did you cope with it?
@Nishadea
It was a strange experience for me in that I waited for 8 years before going back to University till my world was settled a bit more around me, and then 5 months into the course the Covid lockdowns happened. I was then teaching from home and in all the time I saved not travelling I did some extra studying then. I felt like the Unit using SPSS had to be suffered through as I'm not into computers, but after that I had a wonderful time. The tutoring of that Unit was great it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Not sure if Jamovi is covered in a book by Coolican called 'research methods and statistics in psychology' but it will be useful throughout the year

Marc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending