The Student Room Group

Working weekends during PGCE

Hi all,
I'm planning to do a PGCE this upcoming academic year (2024-25) and I'm wondering whether I should keep my weekend job at a coffee shop while I do it.

Has anyone had a weekend job while doing their PGCE? Would it be too much mentally/burn-out?
Original post by Issakat_
Hi all,
I'm planning to do a PGCE this upcoming academic year (2024-25) and I'm wondering whether I should keep my weekend job at a coffee shop while I do it.

Has anyone had a weekend job while doing their PGCE? Would it be too much mentally/burn-out?
Hi @Issakat_

I can only speak from an undergraduate perspective, but I currently have a part time job that works well around my studies and is manageable. I only work one full day - anywhere from 5-8 hours - a week, and I find this helps keeps my budget topped up enough while also not feeling like I can't find the time for my degree.

I also find work through my university, which fits perfectly around my studies, so maybe you could see if there's anything available near you? Online mentoring, open day ambassadors - it's not the most regular work but it can help bring in some extra money.

Maybe you could also speak to your current employer at the coffee shop to see if you could slightly reduce your hours or if you could have the option to reduce your hours slightly as you get started with your PGCE and get used to your workload.

Hope this helps.
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU
Reply 2
No chance, you will be far too busy.
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Original post by Issakat_
Hi all,

Hi @Issakat_

I can only speak from an undergraduate perspective, but I currently have a part time job that works well around my studies and is manageable. I only work one full day - anywhere from 5-8 hours - a week, and I find this helps keeps my budget topped up enough while also not feeling like I can't find the time for my degree.

I also find work through my university, which fits perfectly around my studies, so maybe you could see if there's anything available near you? Online mentoring, open day ambassadors - it's not the most regular work but it can help bring in some extra money.

Maybe you could also speak to your current employer at the coffee shop to see if you could slightly reduce your hours or if you could have the option to reduce your hours slightly as you get started with your PGCE and get used to your workload.

Hope this helps.
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU

I'm doing PCET/PGCE, I work 32 hours a week and it's to much, I'm doing the course over 2 years part time, I think you should be ok with what your working now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending