The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Experience studying in The Open University while abroad

I am planning to apply to The Open University and study online while being away in my home country. I also seem to struggle choosing between Geography (environmental management) and English Literature/Creative Writing and so was thinking about joint honours and if OU even does those? I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience they had relating to this and if they could share it with me? Even if it's just about how you found studying in OU: what it's like to study online, what subjects you're doing, are you doing joint honours/is it possible/is it difficult, etc. I really need advice and thank you so much in advance!
They have some joint degrees ("Computing and design" etc), but if you want to mix Geography and English your only option would be the Open degree. It lets you choose pretty much whichever modules you want, but it's potentially a harder sell to employers etc.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I am planning to apply to The Open University and study online while being away in my home country. I also seem to struggle choosing between Geography (environmental management) and English Literature/Creative Writing and so was thinking about joint honours and if OU even does those? I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience they had relating to this and if they could share it with me? Even if it's just about how you found studying in OU: what it's like to study online, what subjects you're doing, are you doing joint honours/is it possible/is it difficult, etc. I really need advice and thank you so much in advance!

I did my degree in Psychology with Counselling with the OU while living abroad and really enjoyed it. The level 1 modules I found quite easy, so I didn't spend too many hours each week studying. Expect to spend more time studying around deadlines for assignments, but generally speaking, I'd spend 10 or fewer hours each week studying (part-time). I was working full-time alongside this and found it manageable.

As above, an Open degree could be a good option if you have different interests, though it may impact on what career routes are open to you in future if they have certain requirements, so look into that!

I enjoyed studying online. It fit well around my work and I was able to keep myself motivated. My best advice would be to look ahead at what assignments you have and make notes that are relevant to these as you go through your studies - this will save you a lot of time! Also, use the online student forums for support - I found these very helpful!

Good luck with your studies!

Quick Reply

Latest