The Student Room Group

Ucas points or credit for half level 3 extended diploma

I am currently 18 and doing marketing level 3 extended diploma I don't like the course at all and want to go uni next year and do a foundation year I was looking at somewhere like UWE which requires 48 points but don't know weather I could get in my teachers are useless - the only advice they give is it's not possible to do anything without the full qual also the course only comes as a extended diploma, dip, extended cert- by the end of the 1st year I would have received the 510 ghl and after doing some research I would recive a certificate of unit credit or something....
Original post by mohesn
I am currently 18 and doing marketing level 3 extended diploma I don't like the course at all and want to go uni next year and do a foundation year I was looking at somewhere like UWE which requires 48 points but don't know weather I could get in my teachers are useless - the only advice they give is it's not possible to do anything without the full qual also the course only comes as a extended diploma, dip, extended cert- by the end of the 1st year I would have received the 510 ghl and after doing some research I would recive a certificate of unit credit or something....

Take a look at pages 3 and 4 of the specification, here. Page 3 tells you how many mandatory and optional units you need for the Extended Certificate, the Diploma, and the Extended Diploma. Page 4 tells you which units these need to be. These are the only actual qualifications. (A certiface of unit credit / notification of performance will get you nowhere with universities, I would imagine.)

Have you taken (and passed) units 1, 2 and 3? If so, you have enough to be awarded the Extended Certificate.

The Diploma is less likely, as you need to have taken (and passed) units 1 though 6 inclusive, plus one of units 8 through 13.

What grade did you get in each unit? What mark did you get for unit 2 (the only exam)? With those details, we can work out your overall grade and hence your UCAS points.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Take a look at pages 3 and 4 of the specification, here. Page 3 tells you how many mandatory and optional units you need for the Extended Certificate, the Diploma, and the Extended Diploma. Page 4 tells you which units these need to be. These are the only actual qualifications. (A certiface of unit credit / notification of performance will get you nowhere with universities, I would imagine.)

Have you taken (and passed) units 1, 2 and 3? If so, you have enough to be awarded the Extended Certificate.

The Diploma is less likely, as you need to have taken (and passed) units 1 though 6 inclusive, plus one of units 8 through 13.

What grade did you get in each unit? What mark did you get for unit 2 (the only exam)? With those details, we can work out your overall grade and hence your UCAS points.

Hello- I only just started the course but likely I would get D for the first unit
A pass maybe a M for second and D for the third but the thing is I'm enrolled onto the Extended diploma
Original post by mohesn
Hello- I only just started the course but likely I would get D for the first unit
A pass maybe a M for second and D for the third but the thing is I'm enrolled onto the Extended diploma

Being enrolled for the Extended Diploma really just means that you'll be taught units (and entered for exams) which are sufficient to qualify you for the Extended Diploma. After the first year you'll potentially have done units 1, 2 and 3, at which point you'd be eligible for the Extended Certificate.

Let's say that's what happens, and you get a D overall for the Extended Certificate. That would earn you 48 UCAS points - which is what you've said UWE would be looking for.

Has your college laid out when they're planning to teach the 12 units which make up the Extended Diploma? Particularly, when will they be teaching units 1, 2 and 3 and when would you take the unit 2 exam? If they don't do some of that until next year, that this approach won't work. (They can teach the units in any order.)
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Being enrolled for the Extended Diploma really just means that you'll be taught units (and entered for exams) which are sufficient to qualify you for the Extended Diploma. After the first year you'll potentially have done units 1, 2 and 3, at which point you'd be eligible for the Extended Certificate.

Let's say that's what happens, and you get a D overall for the Extended Certificate. That would earn you 48 UCAS points - which is what you've said UWE would be looking for.

Has your college laid out when they're planning to teach the 12 units which make up the Extended Diploma? Particularly, when will they be teaching units 1, 2 and 3 and when would you take the unit 2 exam? If they don't do some of that until next year, that this approach won't work. (They can teach the units in any order)

Currently I am doing units 1 & 2 so I think they are doing them in order I would be taking the exam in jan
Original post by mohesn
Currently I am doing units 1 & 2 so I think they are doing them in order I would be taking the exam in jan

OK. I realise that you've said "my teachers are useless", but you need to let them know that you plan to apply to UWE (and potentially elsewhere) with the 48 UCAS points from a grade D in a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Marketing. They need to be involved because (a) they'll need to submit your unit grades to Pearson (the awarding body for BTECs) to get your Extended Certificate, and because (b) they'll need to predict you at a grade D (or D*) and provide a UCAS reference.

The fact that they've already told you that "it's not possible to do anything without the full qual" means that they won't think this is a good plan, so expect some resistance.

If the UWE option doesn't work out, you may have to do the second year too to get the full Extended Diploma. :eek: You'll be a much better prospect, uni-wise with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending