The Student Room Group

too expensive for me to get to college

i start college tomorrow, and it will take me £7 by bus for the journey there. and £10 by uber or any other taxi for the trip there.

together im spending over £14 each day to get to college.

i applied for financial support as my mother is a single parent and has low income, but they rejected my application and refused to tell us why.

i cant keep spending this amount of money each day because i cannot afford it. i am unsure what to do in my situation.
Reply 1
Original post by misou
i start college tomorrow, and it will take me £7 by bus for the journey there. and £10 by uber or any other taxi for the trip there.

together im spending over £14 each day to get to college.

i applied for financial support as my mother is a single parent and has low income, but they rejected my application and refused to tell us why.

i cant keep spending this amount of money each day because i cannot afford it. i am unsure what to do in my situation.

Can you cycle?
Have you considered a bus pass? It's likely to be significantly cheaper.
Reply 3
Original post by Euapp
Can you cycle?

it would take me about 3 1/2 hours to cycle there, and my classes start at 9, so i wouldnt make it on time if i wake up at 6
Reply 4
Original post by SocksInSandals
Have you considered a bus pass? It's likely to be significantly cheaper.

i have, and i know its a one time payment, but we cant afford it in one go since my mom hasn't got any spare money after bills
Reply 5
Original post by misou
it would take me about 3 1/2 hours to cycle there, and my classes start at 9, so i wouldnt make it on time if i wake up at 6

How far away is this college? Is there nothing closer to your home?
Did you not consider the travel costs before you applied and enrolled there?? Can you get a friend or family member to loan you some money??
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by misou
i have, and i know its a one time payment, but we cant afford it in one go since my mom hasn't got any spare money after bills

How much is the bus pass if you pay in one go?
Reply 8
Original post by Euapp
How far away is this college? Is there nothing closer to your home?

there is, but this is my dream college and i finally got the grades to go after lots of work, i dont want to switch
Reply 9
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
How much is the bus pass if you pay in one go?

around 1200€ for the year
Reply 10
Original post by misou

How many miles is that? A 15 minute car ride on mixed town and country roads of about 8 miles can be done in half an hour on a bike. Going 50 miles to school ( 3.5 hours on a bike) seems to be an awful long journey even if the school is your dream school.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I had a friend who was in a similar situation and she asked the college herself for support, and they directed her and supported her application for a free bus pass. Alternatively, you could see if there is anyone else coming from your direction and they can give you a lift or do car-sharing. Check the financial support page on your college if they have one, or I'd email your tutor (if you have one) to see where they can guide you.
Reply 12
Original post by flâneuse
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I had a friend who was in a similar situation and she asked the college herself for support, and they directed her and supported her application for a free bus pass. Alternatively, you could see if there is anyone else coming from your direction and they can give you a lift or do car-sharing. Check the financial support page on your college if they have one, or I'd email your tutor (if you have one) to see where they can guide you.

Excellent ideas

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending