The Student Room Group

Apply to university for deferred entry or during gap year?

is it better to apply for a deferred entry through ucas and take a gap year or just apply the next year as in during the gap year
im planning to apply to medical school but dont know which one would be the best option
my predicted grades are lower than expected
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by username5801391
is it better to apply for a deferred entry through ucas and take a gap year or just apply the next year as in during the gap year
im planning to apply to medical school but dont know which one would be the best option

Are your predicted grades at least AAA? If they are not, apply during the gap year.
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi there, writing to let you know that I moved this thread to the applications, clearing and UCAS section and changed the name to make clear what you're asking. And also writing to answer you :smile:

Since there's nothing stopping you from doing both, you should ideally first apply for deferred entry, and if you don't like the outcome, you'd then apply during your gap year. However, you mention that your predicted grades are lower than you expected. This poses a big problem if your predicted are below the entry requirements of the Medicine courses you're applying to, since you'd be highly unlikely to get an offer. Are you eligible for contextual offers?
Thread moved to medicine forum for advice on medical schools and deferrring.
Reply 4
Original post by username5801391

Medicine applications are rarely a one year and done situation, so it is best to apply this year for a deferred place, but with hope rather than expectation. There are med schools that do not look at predicted grades, but not many, and entry requirements will still be AAA/A*AA. so are you fairly confident you will achieve that? If you are strugglig with grades, then concentrate on achieving at least AAA this year and leave the application, as most other things can be worked round, but not having AAA means resits and makes life more difficult
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Are your predicted grades at least AAA? If they are not, apply during the gap year.

Would you also say this is the case for UCAT? I am meant to sit it tomorrow but honestly I don't think I'll do well at all, and I'm thinking it may just be easier to apply next year, when I know my grades too as I didn't do too amazingly at AS either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending