The Student Room Group

English Language Investigation Ideas

Hi All,
Currently really struggling to brainstorm ideas for my Language Investigation piece in my England Language A-level course.
I did my original writing mainly based on gender and loved that and want to continue that in my investigation.
However, I cant think of any ideas, I want to investigate language and how that differs between genders but I’d like to maybe narrow that down somehow to a more specific question.
Any ideas?
Thankyou
Reply 1
Original post by .niamhc
Hi All,
Currently really struggling to brainstorm ideas for my Language Investigation piece in my England Language A-level course.
I did my original writing mainly based on gender and loved that and want to continue that in my investigation.
However, I cant think of any ideas, I want to investigate language and how that differs between genders but I’d like to maybe narrow that down somehow to a more specific question.
Any ideas?
Thankyou

Hi there. I'm an English teacher and sociolinguistics is one of my specialities. One of the things you could look at is how language and gender is represented in daytime television. I'm thinking of a programme like Good Morning Britain, where there are different genders of presenters and interviewees. I have noticed how male presenters are much more direct when challenging male interviewees and also how female presenters seem to become more tough when talking to male interviewees. You could consider how the dynamics of This Morning have changed, comparing a Phil and Holly clip to an Alison and Holly clip. Something like this from current media would be interesting. You'd have to record it and transcribe it, with appropriate annotations. Hope that helps - it's a starting point anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending