The Student Room Group

NEA coursework

I REALLY need some advice about my English language NEA coursework investigation ideas. I am leaning more towards gendered talk and I am quite interested in mental health/ Psychology in general. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated in literally any topic :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by heffa
I REALLY need some advice about my English language NEA coursework investigation ideas. I am leaning more towards gendered talk and I am quite interested in mental health/ Psychology in general. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated in literally any topic :smile:

For gender you have SO MANY options. Something which you could try is representation of mental health across genders, maybe transcribe an interview to a man and woman speaking about their mental health, see how the language they use to describe it differs and the narrative changes (e.g. men might be more of a focus on fighting and being strong, whereas women could be more focused on the idea of being weak and vulnerable?) obviously you’d have to base it on what you find but that could be interesting. This could be engaging as there’s a lot of discussion atm around men’s mental health and suicide rates.
Gender is such a wide topic that you could do so much, could you compare language describing figures in an area you’re interested in (for example if you like music you could compare male singers to female singers).
Basing off mental health and psychology there will be tons about the language of therapy and similar. The “word of mouth” podcast has tons around this idea and I find it a really interesting thing to listen to when I get the bus or whatever, and it could give you somewhere to bounce off from. I’m not sure how relevant this is to psychology but maybe you could look at written language changing over the course of someone having dementia?
It’s important to not make the idea too abstract, so try and keep it realistic. I’d say you should just brainstorm/ mindmap everything you can think of and see what sticks.
Hope this helps : )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending