The Student Room Group

EPQ

Hey everyone,
I’m around a month into my A-Level journey now and it’s good but I can feel the step up from GCSE’s. Earlier this week, my school had an assembly about the EPQ which does look tempting to me and I would like to do it but I don’t know if it’s worth the stress? I do 4 AS Levels (History, French, Politics and Psychology) in which I will sit at the end of year 12 and drop one at the start of year 13 and I aspire to do law at university.
I’ve heard the EPQ is good for competitive courses such as law, but I don’t want to put extra stress on myself if the workload is simply going to be too much. I think my school said the EPQ course would last from after October half-term this year until next October too.
Anyone able to give any advice or help to make me make an informed decision?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by 4lys3a
Hey everyone,
I’m around a month into my A-Level journey now and it’s good but I can feel the step up from GCSE’s. Earlier this week, my school had an assembly about the EPQ which does look tempting to me and I would like to do it but I don’t know if it’s worth the stress? I do 4 AS Levels (History, French, Politics and Psychology) in which I will sit at the end of year 12 and drop one at the start of year 13 and I aspire to do law at university.
I’ve heard the EPQ is good for competitive courses such as law, but I don’t want to put extra stress on myself if the workload is simply going to be too much. I think my school said the EPQ course would last from after October half-term this year until next October too.
Anyone able to give any advice or help to make me make an informed decision?
Thank you :smile:

Hi @4lys3a

I was in a similar position when I started my A Levels too.

I studied 4 A Levels but didn't do any AS Levels, so I ended up studying the four subjects continuously for the two years.

I personally decided to not complete an EPQ as I wanted to invest my time into my main four subjects and didn't want to completely overload myself with work. However, I did have friends who managed four a levels and an EPQ, so it is doable. I would advise you to consider your current workload of your four subjects, as you will have to study these as well as the EPQ, and see how much time you would have in your week.

I personally preferred the idea of taking more time for my main A Levels instead so that I could prioritise these, but it really does depend on the person.

I hope this helps.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest