The Student Room Group

Good or bad friend

So I have had a best friend for over 5 years now and one day we met up with a few other friends and I realised she had hid the fact that she met up with them and went to parties, etc. She had fun experiences that I would have loved to hear about but she hid it all from me and it honestly made me feel really left out from not only the friend group but the friendship I had with her. I kind of distanced myself from her after that and we don't really have the same connection/barely talk. Was I right in doing this or was I overreacting???
i personally think u were lowk overreacting because is it rlly that deep? Maybe she was acc trying to NOT make u feel left out by telling all those fun stories. Try and put urself in her shoes. Obviously u had the right to be upset ig for a while but its not that deep to ruin ur 5 year friendship ygm?
Reply 2
Original post by itzmeeeee
i personally think u were lowk overreacting because is it rlly that deep? Maybe she was acc trying to NOT make u feel left out by telling all those fun stories. Try and put urself in her shoes. Obviously u had the right to be upset ig for a while but its not that deep to ruin ur 5 year friendship ygm?
That’s true, thanks for the perspective:smile:
Hi there :smile:

I completely understand why that would make you feel left out and what to withdraw from your friendship.
I think it is very much an age thing, and the exact situation that you have described is a classic one that happens to many people.

Often, the friend simply wants to experience things without their best friend being there. So that maybe they can make new friends independently. It could be anything, but most of the time, the friend doesn't want to lose you but rather have some space. She might have been testing the waters to see how you would react to her telling you these stories. I think it is expected that you would feel upset about it, so don't feel like you have reacted in the 'wrong' way.

If I were you, I would reach out and maybe do something casual together. Sometimes, as people grow up, they want a bit more space in their friendships compared to when they were younger. For example, some people realise they don't want to talk to their friends every single day on Snapchat and keep up their streak, so they start to break things up a little, which some may take as a sign that they don't want to be your friend anymore but that isn't always necessarily true.

It is entirely natural to grow apart slightly, but it's up to you both to figure out how that will work for you now.

This is just simply my view, I would always encourage people to talk it out so you can get back to 'normal' even if that is a new normal.

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Reply 4
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi there :smile:
I completely understand why that would make you feel left out and what to withdraw from your friendship.
I think it is very much an age thing, and the exact situation that you have described is a classic one that happens to many people.
Often, the friend simply wants to experience things without their best friend being there. So that maybe they can make new friends independently. It could be anything, but most of the time, the friend doesn't want to lose you but rather have some space. She might have been testing the waters to see how you would react to her telling you these stories. I think it is expected that you would feel upset about it, so don't feel like you have reacted in the 'wrong' way.
If I were you, I would reach out and maybe do something casual together. Sometimes, as people grow up, they want a bit more space in their friendships compared to when they were younger. For example, some people realise they don't want to talk to their friends every single day on Snapchat and keep up their streak, so they start to break things up a little, which some may take as a sign that they don't want to be your friend anymore but that isn't always necessarily true.
It is entirely natural to grow apart slightly, but it's up to you both to figure out how that will work for you now.
This is just simply my view, I would always encourage people to talk it out so you can get back to 'normal' even if that is a new normal.
Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Thank you so much for that! I guess what hurt more as well was that they were my friends too and she just planned the whole thing behind my back :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending