The Student Room Group

shared accommodation or studio for first year?

I'm looking into accommodation and I was originally hoping to have a studio but I've had mixed opinions on it. I'm an introvert so I quite like my own company and space, especially as a music student. I was just wondering what's your take on it? I do plan on joining societies and going to the communal areas within the building to make friends, plus the courses I'm applying for are relatively small groups so I'm hoping it won't be too hard to find friends that way. I just don't want to feel lonely and risk having no social life.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm looking into accommodation and I was originally hoping to have a studio but I've had mixed opinions on it. I'm an introvert so I quite like my own company and space, especially as a music student. I was just wondering what's your take on it? I do plan on joining societies and going to the communal areas within the building to make friends, plus the courses I'm applying for are relatively small groups so I'm hoping it won't be too hard to find friends that way. I just don't want to feel lonely and risk having no social life.

As you said you're a bit introverted, hence I would say go for the studio apartment (suggesting it because I'm an introvert too). On top of that, I reckon it's significantly crucial for you being a music student to have your personal space in a calm environment, not in a chaotic place.

Hey there Anon!

I was originally going to say that limiting yourself to living in a studio in first year is a bad idea because it does cut off your opportunities to make friends but if you say you're going to join societies and you've got faith in your coursemates then I don't see why not. I would always recommend going into halls for first year even if you're an introvert because sometimes living in a space with other sociable people can bring you out of your shell and make you feel more comfortable quicker. You could always give it a go and use your room as your safe space to have your own company and space and then if you really hate it, go into a studio for second year but like I say if you're planning on joining societies and things then you should do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hiya!

At the end of the day, it is your decision and it is whatever you would think you would be most comfortable with but I thought I would reply to this as personally I live in a studio flat. I am an outgoing sociable person, but I live in a studio as the idea of sharing with people didn’t appeal to me at all as with flatmates people don’t always get along. I have lived in my studio for first year at university and I am currently in my second. I think that a studio has many benefits but one thing I do say is that you can often feel a bit lonely if you crave social interactions like myself, so I always try and force myself to go out every day to have some conversation and see people. If you plan on joining societies and putting yourself out there, I am sure you will meet people, and this is a good mentality to have. Perhaps on Open Days speak to current students and hear their opinions but also look at what accommodation is offered at universities and if you are doing a particular course see if there is a suggested building (e.g. for NHS students some accommodations are suggested as it may be quieter, or nearer placement and therefore flat mates may also be on your course). I would also recommend reaching out and asking students, something you are doing here but see if there are other platforms also. At De Montfort University we have a platform where you can speak to current students see if other universities offer this. Here is DMU’s incase you are interested

https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/chat-with-a-student/index.aspx

Hope this helps I know it can be a stressful decision to make
-Maddie second year health and well-being student at De Montfort University
(edited 5 months ago)

Anon,

I think it's worthwhile to have the experience of living with different people e.g. learning to share a kitchen and having lots of people around you who you bump into in your first year. I think it makes the move from home easier, as it's like a mini community. I think it helps you to get settled.

All that being said, if you know that you are very reserved and that your housemates might misunderstand you and think that you're antisocial, when you just enjoy your own space, then it might be an idea to go for the studio. It might also be good if you can't stand a messy kitchen or know that you're just a really messy person and just need space to be messy without housemates getting annoyed.

As you have noted, the most important thing is that you build relationships. There will be opportunities to do this on your course and if you join societies. You just might have to be more proactive with this if you go for the studio.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi,

There are pros to both accommodation types and at the end of the day you need to do what is right for you.

I have lived in shared facilities for 3 years now in university and have loved it! Yes, of course, there are some downsides such as loud neighbours at times and people being a bit messy but they definitely don't counteract the enjoyment I've had sharing accommodation. I've made friends for life living in shared accom and simple things such as knowing you can knock on someone's door if you are having a rough day makes a huge difference when you are away from home. I know personally, I'd be lost without my flatmates as we genuinely always have a laugh together and are always there to support each other through the good and the bad of university.

In saying all that though, if you are someone who would rather be alone and not have the stress of noisy flatmates then you do need to consider a studio. I would just be weary of getting a little lonely at times if you are on your own as night times even in a shared flat can be a little lonely, especially in your first semester. I would recommend making a pros and cons list and really thinking about what is right for you!

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending