The Student Room Group

Is anyone else struggling to start a HR career? Let’s discuss!

A bit about me:

I completed an Economics degree in 2018 and since then I have submitted hundreds of applications for entry-level HR roles (including Internships) and have only faced constant rejection. I then had to get a customer service job to be able to support myself while I try to get a HR role.

In 2022 I completed a 2 year part-time Masters in Human Resource Management, which led to CIPD Associate membership. However, 1 year later I am still working in customer service because the HR degree did not improve my job prospects at all, I am still facing constant rejection. I really thought it was my “golden ticket” to launching my HR career but I was wrong. It seems as though Universities will sell you a dream and then the job market will bring you back to reality! Additionally, entry-level does not really mean entry-level because employers will still require you to have some relevant experience. However, I have no HR experience and this explains my 5 years of failure in the HR job market.

What are your thoughts? Have you had a similar experience?
Reply 1
Original post by LDR_96
A bit about me:

I completed an Economics degree in 2018 and since then I have submitted hundreds of applications for entry-level HR roles (including Internships) and have only faced constant rejection. I then had to get a customer service job to be able to support myself while I try to get a HR role.

In 2022 I completed a 2 year part-time Masters in Human Resource Management, which led to CIPD Associate membership. However, 1 year later I am still working in customer service because the HR degree did not improve my job prospects at all, I am still facing constant rejection. I really thought it was my “golden ticket” to launching my HR career but I was wrong. It seems as though Universities will sell you a dream and then the job market will bring you back to reality! Additionally, entry-level does not really mean entry-level because employers will still require you to have some relevant experience. However, I have no HR experience and this explains my 5 years of failure in the HR job market.

What are your thoughts? Have you had a similar experience?

I agree, it's not just in HR, this issue is in almost every industry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending