The Student Room Group

cambridge after a gap year! how does it look to admissions staff?

Hi,
I'm in year 12 and i just sat my mocks, and obviously they weren't the predicted grades that cambridge would want but i am 100% sure that for my real a levels i can get the grades that i want to do history and politics. In my school these are the second mocks we've taken this year with earlier ones in january. I have improved massively in these mocks and gone up 3 grades in sociology, 2 in politics and 1 in history, and i had a very bad chest infection which meant i could only come in for exams and the invigilators sent me home early because my coughing was so disruptive in january! However, i don't think i will be able to apply for cambridge in October, as in my school we have mocks but they're in late september / early october and will not be marked until late october. Furthermore, if you failed 2 sets of mocks, in my school they make you take re-takes but you aren't able to voluntarily take them. How would it look if i applied after a gap year and had the grades to go to Cambridge. Furthermore, would it disadvantage me at all if i didn't go to university and applied regardless or would you recommend i go to a different university and still apple to start after a year on another course? how much would taking a gap year affect me?
As a Cambridge student who applied in their gap year, it's completely fine and many people take this route. However, I think you have it slightly the wrong way round in that it would disadvantage your application to go to another university as Cambridge rarely accept transfers.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I'm in year 12 and i just sat my mocks, and obviously they weren't the predicted grades that cambridge would want but i am 100% sure that for my real a levels i can get the grades that i want to do history and politics. In my school these are the second mocks we've taken this year with earlier ones in january. I have improved massively in these mocks and gone up 3 grades in sociology, 2 in politics and 1 in history, and i had a very bad chest infection which meant i could only come in for exams and the invigilators sent me home early because my coughing was so disruptive in january! However, i don't think i will be able to apply for cambridge in October, as in my school we have mocks but they're in late september / early october and will not be marked until late october. Furthermore, if you failed 2 sets of mocks, in my school they make you take re-takes but you aren't able to voluntarily take them. How would it look if i applied after a gap year and had the grades to go to Cambridge. Furthermore, would it disadvantage me at all if i didn't go to university and applied regardless or would you recommend i go to a different university and still apple to start after a year on another course? how much would taking a gap year affect me?

What are you likely to achieve in Sociology? History? Politics? If it is A*AA, then you should take a gap year and apply to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL and SOAS. :wink:
Original post by thegeek888
What are you likely to achieve in Sociology? History? Politics? If it is A*AA, then you should take a gap year and apply to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL and SOAS. :wink:

Why the other universities?
Original post by melancollege
Why the other universities?

The poster presumably thinks that everyone would like to live in London. Many people wouldn't!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending