The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year in between yr 11 and yr 12?

Ive been in sixth form college for about 2 months now, and my mental health has taken a massive toll and i've been having panic and anxiety attacks nearly everyday because of the amount of stress and pressure that is put on me. I am now considering a break from education and start work, and next year go back and do sixth form again. My year 11 was mentally exhausting for many personal reasons and because of that i was having the same issues i am having now, with the panic and anxiety attacks, but somehow this year is worse. I feel like a gap year can really be benifitial for my physical and mental health, but i don't want to be seen as a failure who has dropped out of college by my family. Any advise, especially from people who has taken a gap year between secondary and sixth form / college will be greatly appreciated!
Original post by SophMiller
Ive been in sixth form college for about 2 months now, and my mental health has taken a massive toll and i've been having panic and anxiety attacks nearly everyday because of the amount of stress and pressure that is put on me. I am now considering a break from education and start work, and next year go back and do sixth form again. My year 11 was mentally exhausting for many personal reasons and because of that i was having the same issues i am having now, with the panic and anxiety attacks, but somehow this year is worse. I feel like a gap year can really be benifitial for my physical and mental health, but i don't want to be seen as a failure who has dropped out of college by my family. Any advise, especially from people who has taken a gap year between secondary and sixth form / college will be greatly appreciated!

Hi @SophMiller

Moving from year 11 to sixth form is no easy change! You've just finished all your exams to then start working towards more exams, it can be a big change and a lot of stress. You're definitely not alone in this situation, I'm sure there are a lot of students out there who feel just like you.

Taking a break is never a bad thing, especially if you feel like your mental health is suffering at the moment. And there is no shame in taking some time away from your studies if it's the right decision for you.

Have you tried speaking to someone at your sixth form, like a teacher you trust or the head of year, to see their thoughts on having some time away to work and take a break? Maybe they can offer some advice about the transition, and also about the potential of you coming back at a later date.

I'd also become mend trying to talk to your family about this too if you haven't already. They may be confused or unsure about your decision, but if you start opening up to them a bit about how you're feeling, I'm sure they'll start to understand your thoughts.

Try not to put too much pressure on yourself and talk to those around you so that they can help with your decision too. I would take your time with this so that you really know what feels best for you.

I hope this helps!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest