The Student Room Group

A-Level English Literature essay structure?

Hi,

I am an older student taking an intensive in A-Level English Literature at college.

As you can imagine, doing AS and A2 in one academic year means our lessons are quite tight, and there is not enough time to get through everything.

I am really confused with how to structure an essay for top marks in this subject - I have a background in stem. Are there any recommended models?

Thank you
Reply 1
Hi. The best way of structuring an essay is the TIPE method.
Thesis
Introduction
Points (3 or 4 key paragraphs)
Conclusion

For each paragraph the PETAL method is the best for good structure as it involves all the key elements you need to get top marks. (Point, Evidence, Technique, Analysis and Link)
You should also include relevant quotes, context, connections across literary texts, different view points/ interpretations
Reply 2
Original post by clarajules
Hi. The best way of structuring an essay is the TIPE method.
Thesis
Introduction
Points (3 or 4 key paragraphs)
Conclusion

For each paragraph the PETAL method is the best for good structure as it involves all the key elements you need to get top marks. (Point, Evidence, Technique, Analysis and Link)
You should also include relevant quotes, context, connections across literary texts, different view points/ interpretations

Thanks for your reply and bringing PETAL to my attention.

I thought the thesis and introduction is the same thing?
Reply 3
Original post by Lit4English
Thanks for your reply and bringing PETAL to my attention.

I thought the thesis and introduction is the same thing?

It technically is but more specifically, your thesis statement identifies the purpose of your paper, while your introduction also needs to sufficiently explain the topic and the organization of your paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending