The Student Room Group

Sociology vs. Marketing degree

Hi guys,

I am considering applying for course for next year (2023) and am trying to choose between Sociology and Marketing. At the moment I am pretty interested in both, sociology in particular. I am not 100% if I want a marketing job; I would quite like to do something that would directly help people/solve issues in society and it seems like sociology would be perfect for that. However, I think a marketing job might also suit me, and I've been told there are a lot of job opportunities for marketing graduates. I just don't know if I want to do something that wouldn't be helping people, and marketing could get boring. I also don't see the point of doing a sociology degree and then doing a marketing job anyway, or vice versa. A good thing about marketing is that it leads to a specific career, which might motivate me more. Which subject do you think I should choose? Should I choose based on job security or just pick what I'm more interested in? I hope this makes sense, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you
Study hard for sociology degrees
Original post by Spinendy888
Study hard for sociology degrees

Can I ask what you mean by this?
Hi, I study sociology at the university of sheffield and hope to go into marketing after my degree. Sociology is such a transferrable degree that you defo could go into marketing after if you decide you want to and means your options are kept open. Sheffield has a digital media and society course that runs within the sociological studies department. I take a lot of my optional modules from this course and it has some directly relating to marketing. It could be a good best of both option for you!
Reply 4
I am facing the same situation as you rn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending