The Student Room Group

Can I apply to LSE for Economics?

.bhj,g,ghj,
(edited 3 days ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Muztzfz
I’m currently in Year 13, studying Maths, Economics, and Biology.
My predicted grades are A*A*A with the A*s in Maths & Economics.

At the very start of sixth form (about a week in) I was doing the subjects: Maths, Biology, and DT in the hopes of doing Architecture. I changed my mind straight away and swapped DT for Economics as I decided I want to do Economics at university.

Because I don’t do A-level Further Maths (my school does offer it), I’m worried that my application to LSE for Economics would be pointless. They state on their website that they prefer applicants who study Further Maths and that if you don’t do it you need a valid excuse/reason why.

Is it still worth applying to as LSE is really a dream of mine? Is my reason valid enough?

No point as you will get rejected. LSE is brutally competitive, with loads of students with 4xA*, including FM, getting rejected every year. It is also essentially a maths degree, so you would be at a big disadvantage to those with FM.
Original post by Muztzfz

At the very start of sixth form (about a week in) I was doing the subjects: Maths, Biology, and DT in the hopes of doing Architecture. I changed my mind straight away and swapped DT for Economics as I decided I want to do Economics at university.

Because I don’t do A-level Further Maths (my school does offer it), I’m worried that my application to LSE for Economics would be pointless. They state on their website that they prefer applicants who study Further Maths and that if you don’t do it you need a valid excuse/reason why.

Is it still worth applying to as LSE is really a dream of mine? Is my reason valid enough?

Your reason appears to be that you changed your mind and came up with a new dream a couple of weeks ago.
Original post by Muztzfz

If you've got a spare UCAS spot then maybe it's worth it, but your chances will be very low. The accepted reasons for not having FM are generally that your school didn't offer it or things like long-term illness meant you couldn't take up FM as an extra subject. "I changed my mind" is very unlikely to be seen as a valid reason.
Try emailing their admissions team and see if they'll advise whether you still night be considered given your circumstances.

Feel free to post any response here (minus any personal info) so we can interpret any admissions-speak :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending