The Student Room Group

gap year

Hi! I'm currently in year 13 and thinking of the possibility of taking a gap year. I definitely want to go university afterwards but want to know about anyone's experience about the gap year. Was it beneficial? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by amel.z0
Hi! I'm currently in year 13 and thinking of the possibility of taking a gap year. I definitely want to go university afterwards but want to know about anyone's experience about the gap year. Was it beneficial? Thanks!

What are you planning in your gap year?
Reply 2
Original post by lockets
What are you planning in your gap year?

hoping to find a job, learn more german/bsl, learn how to cook, work experience/internship...
i also just want a break from studying to be honest, i want to do languages at university but year 13 has already taken it out of me really so i think it would be needed
Reply 3
Original post by amel.z0
hoping to find a job, learn more german/bsl, learn how to cook, work experience/internship...
i also just want a break from studying to be honest, i want to do languages at university but year 13 has already taken it out of me really so i think it would be needed

Definitely do it then! You could also apply this year for deferred entry so you (if you meet the grades) would definitely have a place at a uni after your gap year so you wouldn't have to stress about it too much.

Getting work experience would also be amazing for when you eventually get a job. Most people I've met in uni have done gap years to be honest. Many did Camp America (by themselves) or interrailing so if you're thinking about a bit of travelling and life experience (probably good for a languages degree) that would also be cool. Getting a job would also help as you can save money.

I've yet to hear any of the many people who I've met who have done a gap year say they regret it. So I would say to just go for it!
Reply 4
Original post by lockets
Definitely do it then! You could also apply this year for deferred entry so you (if you meet the grades) would definitely have a place at a uni after your gap year so you wouldn't have to stress about it too much.

Getting work experience would also be amazing for when you eventually get a job. Most people I've met in uni have done gap years to be honest. Many did Camp America (by themselves) or interrailing so if you're thinking about a bit of travelling and life experience (probably good for a languages degree) that would also be cool. Getting a job would also help as you can save money.

I've yet to hear any of the many people who I've met who have done a gap year say they regret it. So I would say to just go for it!

thank you! yeah i definitely am thinking of it more as an option to be honest. i just need to convince my parents haha
Reply 5
Original post by amel.z0
thank you! yeah i definitely am thinking of it more as an option to be honest. i just need to convince my parents haha

Deferring entry might give your parents some peace of mind tbh haha. They always think you're going to do nothing but I think you have to keep explaining it to them.

Quick Reply

Latest