The Student Room Group

Social anxiety

Hi there I was looking some advice.

I have terrible social anxiety, speaking to them scares me so much as I'm so feared of what they think of me. I love learning, and want to do a postgrad and maybe something else, but how do I overcome thinking people are judging me?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

I have terrible social anxiety, speaking to them scares me so much as I'm so feared of what they think of me. I love learning, and want to do a postgrad and maybe something else, but how do I overcome thinking people are judging me?

Honestly I have kind of the same thing with social anxiety, might sound strange what I’m about to say but it helps.
Imagine you are the main character in a game and nobody else is real around you, there all just parts of your story.
Don’t take this too far though 😂
Original post by Anonymous

Hi!

There are strategies and techniques that can more or less help you overcome these feelings and pursue your academic and career goals. I myself sometimes get caught up in social anxiety and feel stressed when people surround me.

There are many self-help books and online resources that offer techniques and exercises for managing social anxiety. Dale Carnegie's book "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" helped me a lot. It is one of many amazing positions that address the subject of anxiety and include evidence-based strategies.

For a very long time, I did not want to believe that meditation had any effect on us. However, it turns out that meditation and deep breathing exercises can help you stay calm and centred in social situations.

Instead of feeding on destructive thoughts about social anxiety, engage in a positive self-talk. In the mornings and evenings, as well as in situations that cause anxiety, affirm and repeat with devotion that people are too busy with themselves to spend their precious time judging you. And don't forget to tell yourself how wonderful you are and how lucky it is to be able to have a chat with someone as kind as you.

Dealing with social anxiety and the fear of being judged by others can undoubtedly be challenging. If you feel that it negatively affects your daily functioning, interactions with others and mental health, you should consider talking to a professional who will be able to help you once and for all.

I hope this helps :wink: I wish you all the best! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. You can also chat with me and other student ambassadors through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia:h:
Reply 3
Social skills:

Be open, relaxed, approachable, friendly, lighten up

0) You can try nlp exercises, meditation, breathing techniques, visualisation. You can read books on this subject and there is a wealth of resources on the internet, youtube regarding this subject.

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, you have got as much right as everyone else.

Think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily. Relax.

Have good posture, body language, improve your appearance. Be happy with yourself.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, how's it going, what's the latest, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, their day, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about what's happening. You could read up on current affairs.

Talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

Compliment them, say "I like your jacket".

If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) In group discussions, relax and talk to someone close or if someone says something you know, you can talk then. Stay relaxed.

9) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed.

10) You can write things down and come up with a rational reframed response, keep a journal of your thoughts, reach out to people slowly

Quick Reply

Latest