The Student Room Group

Making friends at uni

It’s impossible to make friends here, everyone somehow seems to have their friend groups already…i guess not living on campus doesn’t help. Or people don’t like me in general. Just want to hide in the library
Hi there!

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way.

You are not the only one feeling this way.

Firstly, I'd recommend to join clubs or societies. Universities offer many of these in order to build communities between students. Maybe there's a club that might interest you?

Secondly, have you tried starting conversations with anyone from your course? Perhaps they know groups of people to whom they can introduce you thus expanding your circle.

Thirdly, there is no shame in seeing a counsellor. It is great to speak to someone external who is trained to offer tips and guidence to individuals in a similar situation as yourself.

Lastly, it might sound hard but also obvious but please don't give up and don't forget to put yourself out there. Try being as social as possible and join various events.

I hope I managed to help!

Let me know if there's anything I can do (I used to be a student myself so I was in a similar situation as you).

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by Anonymous
It’s impossible to make friends here, everyone somehow seems to have their friend groups already…i guess not living on campus doesn’t help. Or people don’t like me in general. Just want to hide in the library

Hey!

I'm really sorry you're going through this; you've had some really great advice already but just wanted to add a little bit as well.

I personally transferred uni in my second year and was also living off-campus so definitely struggled a bit. But I actually found my longest-lasting friendships were made naturally just through classes/groupwork etc. I understand it's really stressful at first, but don't put too much pressure on yourself! Not everyone has set friend groups within the first couple of weeks. Even if they do, friendships definitely change over your 3 years at uni!

Best of luck with everything,
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)
Original post by Anonymous

Anon,

If you start thinking negatively about yourself then that's the message that you will put out to people and that will make it more difficult to make friends, as you will come across as someone who wants to keep to themselves or who is suspicious of others or defensive : (

Stay positive. Keep your chin up. Talk to people in the library. Talk to people on your course. Try going to some university events and remember that friendship groups are not fixed, however it might seem.

Don't lose heart!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending