The Student Room Group

Module credits

How do credits work in university? I currently do 6 modules all worth 20 credits and I've applied to transfer somewhere else, and have got 2 conditional offers so far. I'm slightly worried about the grade I might receive for one module and if it would affect my transfer.

At my university, we only have one exam for each module, we never have assignments due or anything like that, the whole grade is based on one final exam. I don't think this is normal especially for university level?

Anyways to the point, if I fail one exam for a module, does that mean I won't earn the 20 credits for it, and won't be able to transfer?
Thank you.
Original post by caprisun2323
How do credits work in university? I currently do 6 modules all worth 20 credits and I've applied to transfer somewhere else, and have got 2 conditional offers so far. I'm slightly worried about the grade I might receive for one module and if it would affect my transfer.

At my university, we only have one exam for each module, we never have assignments due or anything like that, the whole grade is based on one final exam. I don't think this is normal especially for university level?

Anyways to the point, if I fail one exam for a module, does that mean I won't earn the 20 credits for it, and won't be able to transfer?
Thank you.

Only the university you're transferring to can tell you what expectations they have of you. You say that you have two conditional offers. Do the conditions make any reference to your current year? Or are the conditions based solely upon your level 3 qualifications (A levels, etc.)?

You are correct in saying that if you fail one of your 20-credit modules, then you won't gain those 20 credits. Whether or not that's important to you next university, only they can say.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Only the university you're transferring to can tell you what expectations they have of you. You say that you have two conditional offers. Do the conditions make any reference to your current year? Or are the conditions based solely upon your level 3 qualifications (A levels, etc.)?

You are correct in saying that if you fail one of your 20-credit modules, then you won't gain those 20 credits. Whether or not that's important to you next university, only they can say.

All the ones I applied to said they don't look at my level 3 qualifications. One of my offers just said to pass all of my modules, and the other is asking for 112 UCAS points from this academic year, but I'm pretty sure my grades don't add up to points? I emailed them asking about this days ago but I haven't got a reply yet.
Original post by caprisun2323
All the ones I applied to said they don't look at my level 3 qualifications. One of my offers just said to pass all of my modules, and the other is asking for 112 UCAS points from this academic year, but I'm pretty sure my grades don't add up to points? I emailed them asking about this days ago but I haven't got a reply yet.

Well, the university which requested that you "pass all of my modules" would clearly have a problem if you don't (which was your original question).

The other uni is a tad confusing, as by making your offer conditional on UCAS points they've made it conditional on your Level 3 qualifications. This is because only Level 3 qualifications provide UCAS points. Hopefully they'll reply soon.

Have you entered your existing Level 3 qualifications into the UCAS tariff points calculator (here)? Do you have 112 UCAS points?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Well, the university which requested that you "pass all of my modules" would clearly have a problem if you don't (which was your original question).

The other uni is a tad confusing, as by making your offer conditional on UCAS points they've made it conditional on your Level 3 qualifications. This is because only Level 3 qualifications provide UCAS points. Hopefully they'll reply soon.

Have you entered your existing Level 3 qualifications into the UCAS tariff points calculator (here)? Do you have 112 UCAS points?

No my level 3 grades don't add up to 112, the offer says to get 112 from up to four qualifications. The only reason I'm worried about that one module was because of the way it was assessed. It was a 10 minute online presentation that I had to do over a call. I would've much preferred it to be in person as it just felt like a nervous FaceTime call. That 10 minutes of me talking determines my entire grade for that module, which I don't think was fair to be honest.
The offer asking for UCAS points is likely an error and needs clarifying with that uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending