The Student Room Group

Cambridge Maths Personal Statement

Hi, I am hoping to applying to Cambridge for maths and have just finished writing my personal statement and due to my school deadlines but I haven't got time to change the content (just the structure/SPaG).

I have written mostly about maths-related things that I have done but nothing about what I am looking forward to doing at University (just furthering my maths knowlegde). So I am quite concerned that I should have spoken about specific maths things that I enjoy and want to learn about further. Will the fact that I haven't done this disadvantage me in any way?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am hoping to applying to Cambridge for maths and have just finished writing my personal statement and due to my school deadlines but I haven't got time to change the content (just the structure/SPaG).

I have written mostly about maths-related things that I have done but nothing about what I am looking forward to doing at University (just furthering my maths knowlegde). So I am quite concerned that I should have spoken about specific maths things that I enjoy and want to learn about further. Will the fact that I haven't done this disadvantage me in any way?

Why is your school deadline so early? There is weeks before the deadline ...
Your personal statement should mostly be about the things you have done outside of school to show your interest in maths. I don't think its a problem but would be nice to have something in there about it. Maybe if you talk about an area of maths you have e.g. read about or done a MOOC on say 'and this is a field of maths I'm really looking forward to study further at university' or something. alternatively you could write a similar closing sentence/conclusion.
Reply 3
They want to make sure we have it done so they can do their references. It is incredibly annoying though
Reply 4
Original post by alexandre365
Your personal statement should mostly be about the things you have done outside of school to show your interest in maths. I don't think its a problem but would be nice to have something in there about it. Maybe if you talk about an area of maths you have e.g. read about or done a MOOC on say 'and this is a field of maths I'm really looking forward to study further at university' or something. alternatively you could write a similar closing sentence/conclusion.

Yeah okay, my statement is mostly about maths things I have done so I suppose I can easily relate them to higher education like you say. Thank you
Reply 5
They want to make sure we have it done so they can do their references. It is incredibly annoying though

Haven't they already checked a draft? Ask to add more - honestly I'm a teacher and adding references and checking doesn't take nearly four weeks!
My deadline is Friday so I don't think its uncommon
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Haven't they already checked a draft? Ask to add more - honestly I'm a teacher and adding references and checking doesn't take nearly four weeks!

I have given my first draft to a teacher twice now, after the first time I basically had to rewrite it, but now I have to give to it a senior member of the sixth form staff so they can doctor it for Cambridge if you know what I mean.

On problem is though, my I am 90 characters out of the limit so I don't know if adding more is an option at this point unfortunately

Every early applicant at my sixth form had to submit their complete UCAS last Sunday! Mine's been completely checked through and approved, it's being sent off around early October though.
Reply 9
Original post by howdoeslifelook
Every early applicant at my sixth form had to submit their complete UCAS last Sunday! Mine's been completely checked through and approved, it's being sent off around early October though.

Why? You don't get brownie points for early submission.
(edited 7 months ago)
I have given my first draft to a teacher twice now, after the first time I basically had to rewrite it, but now I have to give to it a senior member of the sixth form staff so they can doctor it for Cambridge if you know what I mean.

On problem is though, my I am 90 characters out of the limit so I don't know if adding more is an option at this point unfortunately

'Doctor it' - that's not on - the PS should be your work!
Reply 11
'Doctor it' - that's not on - the PS should be your work!’

‘Doctor it’ as in check that it’s what Cambridge looks for and give relevant advice (sorry if the phrasing came off in a different way). I am aware that the personal statement should be all my own work and it is but I am allowed to ask for advice which is exactly what I meant by that, however it is compulsory at my school for a teacher to read it
‘Doctor it’ as in check that it’s what Cambridge looks for and give relevant advice (sorry if the phrasing came off in a different way). I am aware that the personal statement should be all my own work and it is but I am allowed to ask for advice which is exactly what I meant by that, however it is compulsory at my school for a teacher to read it

Sounds a bit suspect - your PS should not be written with one university in mind.
Reply 13
Sounds a bit suspect - your PS should not be written with one university in mind.

It isn’t, but I am going to cater it more towards my first choice, which is Cambridge
It isn’t, but I am going to cater it more towards my first choice, which is Cambridge

Strange ....not something I would advise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending