The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Do you guys think I have a solid chance of getting into ucl cs without FM?

At the time I did not know FM's importance for CS at uni, so I picked maths, bio, computer science to keep my options open. UCL is essentially my dream uni and I am worried I will not get in.
I want to know if I should keep my expectations low and expect to get rejected or to keep my hopes up. Predicted 3 A*, my personal statement talks about different things such as my experience in Lua, a chess game I am making, my EPQ on machine learning, a cybersecurity course I did as well as some general stuff such as my hobbies and how I ended up wanting to do computer science.
Not sure if my personal statement would be considered good (the way I wrote it) because my form tutor hasn't really given proper feedback, and I have to send it off tomorrow.
Do you guys think I have a solid chance to get in? I'm also applying to kcl and queen Mary but not sure if I'll even get into kings with how competitive cs seems (from the anecdotal stuff I find online)
Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Reply 1
I'm in the exact same boat, options at all; i always think to myself biology is so out of place paha. I still went through with my application to Cambridge, after all they all tend to use the words "highly recommended". Include heavy maths content and extracurricular in your personal statement, and id say we might just have a chance.

Cant change the past, shoot for the stars and if you miss, you'll land on the moon!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by BoyIsAWand
I'm in the exact same boat, options at all; i always think to myself biology is so out of place paha. I still went through with my application to Cambridge, after all they all tend to use the words "highly recommended". Include heavy maths content and extracurricular in your personal statement, and id say we might just have a chance.

Cant change the past, shoot for the stars and if you miss, you'll land on the moon!

You applied to Cambridge without FM? I was considering doing that aswell but decided to set my eyes on UCL with the intention of using the extra application time to beef up my personal statement. I wish us both the best of luck. Hopefully one way or another we are happy and content with where we are in life 10 years down the line. May our moons be UCL and the stars Cambridge.
Reply 3
Original post by Sam.Ku
You applied to Cambridge without FM? I was considering doing that aswell but decided to set my eyes on UCL with the intention of using the extra application time to beef up my personal statement. I wish us both the best of luck. Hopefully one way or another we are happy and content with where we are in life 10 years down the line. May our moons be UCL and the stars Cambridge.

Yep, i did both, just included a lot of FM and extended maths in my personal statement, got it done pretty early so didnt need the time... i hope so 😂
Reply 4
Original post by BoyIsAWand
Yep, i did both, just included a lot of FM and extended maths in my personal statement, got it done pretty early so didnt need the time... i hope so 😂

Genuinely wish you the best of luck. I hope you get in. If you do get an interview please do tell me as I'd like to witness first hand whether or not cs at cam is possible without FM. Did you not take FM as your school didn't offer it, or because you were a clueless like me?
Reply 5
Original post by Sam.Ku
Genuinely wish you the best of luck. I hope you get in. If you do get an interview please do tell me as I'd like to witness first hand whether or not cs at cam is possible without FM. Did you not take FM as your school didn't offer it, or because you were a clueless like me?

i was a clueless dumbo, it has been done, looking at FOI requests. But with exceptional TMUA scores, so id say an interview hinges on that. get my results on the 28th

wishing you the best of luck too
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending