The Student Room Group

Can I get into Oxford with a low GCSE grade?

I am applying to Oxford to do Physics. I got 4 grade 8s, 3 grade 7s and one grade 6. My 6 was in combined science (76). Considering my lowest grades are in science, would this put me at a disadvantage when applying to Oxford, even if I perform well on the test and interview? I am studying Maths, Physics and CTEC IT and am predicted A* in physics, A in maths and Distinction* in IT. Thanks
If you apply yourself, you can probably get to most objectives with enough time. Besides, do you really need to go straight to university at 18? Say if you miss the selection threshold, give it another shot the following year after doing something practical... Perhaps some experience in the respective field, tie it all together in a nice personal statement... then you have actually some interesting discussions to have at any potential interviews more than most Y13 students applying for that year.

The grades you've got now? Some people say they matter, my personal experience makes me disagree. And don't take any notice of your predicted grades, they don't mean anything.

Best of luck, you'll be fine whatever happens.
Original post by mattjh-
I am applying to Oxford to do Physics. I got 4 grade 8s, 3 grade 7s and one grade 6. My 6 was in combined science (76). Considering my lowest grades are in science, would this put me at a disadvantage when applying to Oxford, even if I perform well on the test and interview? I am studying Maths, Physics and CTEC IT and am predicted A* in physics, A in maths and Distinction* in IT. Thanks

Yes, this would probably put you at a disadvantage. You still have a chance of acceptance if you do really well in the entrance test and interviews, assuming you meet the minimum requirements for the course. GCSEs are just one factor in the shortlisting process.
Reply 3
Original post by mattjh-

You meet the min requirements for Oxford Physics, so it it worth a shot, as long as you also have some safe options amongst your 5 choices. The 6 in combined science won't in itself rule you out, as there is no min requirement for GCSEs, but it will prob reduce your chances a little as they might be less confident that you will be able to achieve the A* at A-level Physics. Still worth a shot though if you smash everything else, like super curriculars, entrance exams, school references, interviews etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending