The Student Room Group

a level options

i want to study law at cambridge uni, do these alevel options sound good? do you think i should take four (my fourth would be politics)?
English Lit.
History
Theology
(all nines at GCSE)
Hey,

As someone who did 4 A Levels and an Extended Project Qualification at A Level 2 years ago, I would say just be careful with the fourth A level. It is a great achievement and defo helps you stand out.
BUT,

a) it’s a lot of work especially with essay subjects (trust me you get a lot of homework and research to do)
b) even really elite unis like Oxford and Cambridge don’t actually care if you have four A Levels (they would rather a student with 3 A*’s than a student with A,A,A,B for example)

And finally be sure it’s something you want to do,

A levels are hard and they take a lot of work and effort so you need something about them that genuinely interests you to keep you going even when it gets hard.

For reference I studied English Language, French, Computer Science and Economics.

Feel free to lmk if you have any questions. Good luck and I hope this helped :smile:
Original post by cyberstudent99
Hey,

As someone who did 4 A Levels and an Extended Project Qualification at A Level 2 years ago, I would say just be careful with the fourth A level. It is a great achievement and defo helps you stand out.
BUT,

a) it’s a lot of work especially with essay subjects (trust me you get a lot of homework and research to do)
b) even really elite unis like Oxford and Cambridge don’t actually care if you have four A Levels (they would rather a student with 3 A*’s than a student with A,A,A,B for example)

And finally be sure it’s something you want to do,

A levels are hard and they take a lot of work and effort so you need something about them that genuinely interests you to keep you going even when it gets hard.

For reference I studied English Language, French, Computer Science and Economics.

Feel free to lmk if you have any questions. Good luck and I hope this helped :smile:

Thank you so much! I'm finding 3 Alevels very easy at the moment, and I don't think ill do four if I don't have to. The fact I don't necessarily need them is really comforting, and I adore all three subjects and spend hours researching them. I was more asking along the lines of the Theology for Alevel, as I'm not entirely sure how respected it is??
Lots of pressure for me to get in (personal circumstances) so three weeks in and I'm already feeling the pressure lol, so any academic tips are so, so very appreciated.
Thank you so much for such a kind and helpful reply!! :smile:
Original post by violentdelight s
Thank you so much! I'm finding 3 Alevels very easy at the moment, and I don't think ill do four if I don't have to. The fact I don't necessarily need them is really comforting, and I adore all three subjects and spend hours researching them. I was more asking along the lines of the Theology for Alevel, as I'm not entirely sure how respected it is??
Lots of pressure for me to get in (personal circumstances) so three weeks in and I'm already feeling the pressure lol, so any academic tips are so, so very appreciated.
Thank you so much for such a kind and helpful reply!! :smile:

No worries. Generally the workload does pick up as you go on but good to hear that it’s going well so far :smile: Personally I didn’t even know theology was a possible A Level as my college didn’t offer it but maybe check out the Cambridge uni website to see if says anything in particular? Usually as long as you can show that you’ve worked hard, got some good grades and got some experience from things outside of school like volunteering, work experience and maybe done some research into what you’re interested in you should be good. The other place you could ask for tips or info is messaging current Cambridge students on their website if you still had more specific uni questions.

i didn’t go to Cambridge but I think I do understand some of the pressure that you’re talking about because from the beginning of college I put so much pressure on myself to do well. All I’ll say is make sure you do take breaks and make time to do some fun stuff too because otherwise you will burn out (it gets pretty tiring pretty quickly if you’re doing a lot). Best of luck though and I’m sure you’ll do great :smile:
Original post by cyberstudent99
No worries. Generally the workload does pick up as you go on but good to hear that it’s going well so far :smile: Personally I didn’t even know theology was a possible A Level as my college didn’t offer it but maybe check out the Cambridge uni website to see if says anything in particular? Usually as long as you can show that you’ve worked hard, got some good grades and got some experience from things outside of school like volunteering, work experience and maybe done some research into what you’re interested in you should be good. The other place you could ask for tips or info is messaging current Cambridge students on their website if you still had more specific uni questions.

i didn’t go to Cambridge but I think I do understand some of the pressure that you’re talking about because from the beginning of college I put so much pressure on myself to do well. All I’ll say is make sure you do take breaks and make time to do some fun stuff too because otherwise you will burn out (it gets pretty tiring pretty quickly if you’re doing a lot). Best of luck though and I’m sure you’ll do great :smile:

Again, thank you so, so much. It's basically Religious Studies but with a few extra sprinkles on top (Philosophy, Practical Ethics and Christian studies), and I thought it would be good from an Ethics perspective. It's weird haha. Honestly, I'm so grateful for your replies, they've been super helpful and I'll definitly take the advice.
Thanks for the luck; I'm going to need it!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest