The Student Room Group

Should I drop Psychology or French ? Need to decide by next week !

I’m currently studying Maths , Chemistry , French and Psychology. I need to drop either French or Psychology I can’t decide which one to drop . I’ve been told that it’s better to have 2 sciences for getting into uni rather than just having Chemistry. I got GCSE 7’s in Maths , Chemistry and French , never studied psychology before
Original post by Blueberrypop
I’m currently studying Maths , Chemistry , French and Psychology. I need to drop either French or Psychology I can’t decide which one to drop . I’ve been told that it’s better to have 2 sciences for getting into uni rather than just having Chemistry. I got GCSE 7’s in Maths , Chemistry and French , never studied psychology before

Have you any idea what courses you would likely be applying to university for?

If you're "currently studying" those four, does that mean you've literally started studying them (so you're in Year 12) or does it mean that you've been studying them for a year now (so you're in Year 13)?

Which do you enjoy more so far?

Hey @Blueberrypop,

I know it sounds corny, but the best advice really is to study what you're passionate about and what you'll enjoy the most - if you enjoy it, you'll likely do a lot better! A high grade in a subject you love and can talk lots about on your personal statement looks a lot better to universities than an 'average' grade in something you're taking just as a pre-requisite.

Even with these pre-requisite subjects though, often Maths is included with the sciences, as they're mostly just looking for indicators of general academic STEM ability and understanding. It's always worth double-checking with where you're applying though!

It does hugely depend on what you want to study at university as well. If you're looking to go into medicine, or similar courses, they may have more strict requirements (which will be on the respective university websites), but otherwise unis essentially just want to be assured that you'll be able to keep up with the workload of the degree! Most A-level courses give you really transferrable skills, so an A or A* in French or Psychology still indicates you've got some great study skills and are a hard-worker, even if the course you're applying to isn't directly related!

Hope this helps :smile:

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador

What do you want to do after your a-levels?
If you have any particular uni courses in mind, then check the courses on unis websites to help you decide. Otherwise, keep whichever subject you enjoy the most and think you will get the best grade in.
If you consider doing psychology, then you need to memorise a load of names and evaluation points. It's almost 4 per topic. Psychology is basically a game of memorisation. If your able to memorise almost all your evaluation points you will do really good. Research methods can also be a bit tricky.
If you are considering studying sciences at uni, then I would recommend psychology
Reply 5
You definitely shouldn’t give up psychology, this experience is important at every stage of life

Quick Reply

Latest