The Student Room Group

Bps accreditation and University admission

Hello
I am still doing my bachelor's in psychology.
If I can only get my undergraduate degree accredited after graduation will I still be able to apply for the university for September intake (I will be a graduate by the month of May or June) or should I consider the next available intake
Original post by Niraimathi
Hello
I am still doing my bachelor's in psychology.
If I can only get my undergraduate degree accredited after graduation will I still be able to apply for the university for September intake (I will be a graduate by the month of May or June) or should I consider the next available intake

Will you still be able to apply for the September intake of what?

Also, we are now in July, so saying that you "will be a graduate by the month of May or June" doesn't really make any sense.

Finally, how are you planning to get your unaccredited undergraduate degree accredited?
Reply 2
I am still in my 2nd year of bachelors degree.Am aiming for the 2025 September intake for doctorate in clinical psychology(As in I will be completing my bachelor's in the month of may of 2025). Regarding the accreditation though am not sure whether will it be accredited but still wanna try applying to bps. So , I want to know whether I should have completed the degree before applying to bps.From what I have known from the internet the accreditation is given only when the course syllabus and outcomes are equivalent or similar to that of the university in uk.Then should I wait till the next available intake for the course.Am just concerned as there are chances where I should be waiting for another year to get into the university.

Original post by DataVenia
Will you still be able to apply for the September intake of what?

Also, we are now in July, so saying that you "will be a graduate by the month of May or June" doesn't really make any sense.

Finally, how are you planning to get your unaccredited undergraduate degree accredited?

I am in the 2nd year of bachelors in psychology.I will be completing my bachelor's by may or June of 2025.I am thinking of applying to the bps for accreditation.So,I can only apply to bps after graduation? Then will I be still able to get into doctorate for clinical psychology by September intake of 2025 or should I wait for another year?
I am in my 2nd year of bachelors degree.Am aiming for the 2025 September intake for doctorate in clinical psychology(As in I will be completing my bachelor's in the month of may of 2025). Regarding the accreditation though am not sure whether will it be accredited but still wanna try applying to bps. So , I want to know whether I should have completed the degree before applying to bps.From what I have known from the internet the accreditation is given when the course syllabus and outcomes are equivalent or similar to that of the universities in UK.Am just concerned that I have to wait for another year to apply for the university i.e for the next September intake for doctorate in clinical psychology.

When you say that you are "not sure whether will it be accredited", this presumably means that the course is not currently accredited. Is that right? And you hoping that the accreditation will have been obtained and apply to your intake? Note that the BPS do not currently accredit international degrees. (There is, however, a mechanism whereby you may be able to gain Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership based on a international undergraduate degree. See here for details.)

If you are in 2nd year now, and will be completing your Bachelor's degree in May 2025, this must mean it's a four year degree. Is that right? Is that because it contains a one-year placement as part of the degree? I ask because to apply for a Clinical Psychology Programme you will need relevant experience. Some ask that this be 9 months, some 12 months, some ask that it be paid, some are happy with voluntary. You can check the requirements of each course here but I think you will find that (a) the application deadline's tend to be about 9 months before the course commences, and that your relevant experience must have been gained prior to applying (i.e. not during that 9-month application period).

Also, note that if you are an international student you will not be able to apply for the majority of courses anyway, as they are funded by the NHS which mandates that applicants have the right to work in the UK without restriction (a student visa would be insufficient). See here for further details on this issue.
Reply 4
When you say that you are "not sure whether will it be accredited", this presumably means that the course is not currently accredited. Is that right? And you hoping that the accreditation will have been obtained and apply to your intake? Note that the BPS do not currently accredit international degrees. (There is, however, a mechanism whereby you may be able to gain Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership based on a international undergraduate degree. See here for details.)

If you are in 2nd year now, and will be completing your Bachelor's degree in May 2025, this must mean it's a four year degree. Is that right? Is that because it contains a one-year placement as part of the degree? I ask because to apply for a Clinical Psychology Programme you will need relevant experience. Some ask that this be 9 months, some 12 months, some ask that it be paid, some are happy with voluntary. You can check the requirements of each course here but I think you will find that (a) the application deadline's tend to be about 9 months before the course commences, and that your relevant experience must have been gained prior to applying (i.e. not during that 9-month application period).

Also, note that if you are an international student you will not be able to apply for the majority of courses anyway, as they are funded by the NHS which mandates that applicants have the right to work in the UK without restriction (a student visa would be insufficient). See here for further details on this issue.

It is actually a 3 year course .The 2nd year started from June this year.I plan to do internships while am still studying.From the link you have given the universities prefer graduates while applying for them than one still studying except the university of Birmingham. And about the GBC will I be able to apply for it before graduating as the application for the university ends before 9 months of the course starting? Just in case if I am unable to get my degree accredited before the deadline of applications are there any other option of submitting them latter?
And about the GBC will I be able to apply for it before graduating as the application for the university ends before 9 months of the course starting?

No. See the "Non-UK applicants" section of this BPS page. It says you must hold a degree from a recognised university or comparable institution. It also specifically says, "We are unable to consider part-completed qualifications, or qualifications that have not been formally conferred by the university towards an application for membership."
Just in case if I am unable to get my degree accredited before the deadline of applications are there any other option of submitting them latter?

Not that I'm aware of. See this Dates to remember page on the Clearing House web site. (All the dates are about a year out-of-date, but you'll get the general idea of how the various steps are scheduled.)
Reply 6
No. See the "Non-UK applicants" section of this BPS page. It says you must hold a degree from a recognised university or comparable institution. It also specifically says, "We are unable to consider part-completed qualifications, or qualifications that have not been formally conferred by the university towards an application for membership."

Not that I'm aware of. See this Dates to remember page on the Clearing House web site. (All the dates are about a year out-of-date, but you'll get the general idea of how the various steps are scheduled.)

If you don't have the required documents before the deadline, please submit your application in time then provide the documents as soon as you get them.
After submission:
email GBC documents and/or IELTS results to us
upload course specific documents to your application
They have mentioned about submitting the documents as soon as we get them.
So,can I apply for the September intake of 2025 in the context of submitting the GBC document later as in June or July of 2025.
Will that be possible as the deadline for the application most probably closes by December or January of 2025?
International candidate DClinPsy issues are probably beyond the scope of anyone on this forum, and you are better off contacting the individual DClinPsy courses that you are interested in.

Having had experience of talking to Indian, Chinese and other international students interested in clinical training in the UK, you will also need to make sure you have the money to fund this as those courses are eye wateringly expensive for international students. For instance, UCL's yearly DClinPsy fees are £32,100 for the 2024/25 year -and it is a 3 year course so you are looking at close to £100k for the entire course. Take that into consideration before investing any further time, energy or effort in this route as the NHS route where they pay for your fees and also pay you a salary is only open to those who already have the right to work here.

Quick Reply

Latest