The Student Room Group

Engineering graduate experience

I am going into my final year of uni for my engineering degree. However, I'm worried that I might be at a disadvantage when applying for graduate schemes as I haven't got any experience in the field from placements and internships. Can you guys suggest some things that I could do to boost my CV with the one year I have?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by alwaysconfused5
I am going into my final year of uni for my engineering degree. However, I'm worried that I might be at a disadvantage when applying for graduate schemes as I haven't got any experience in the field from placements and internships. Can you guys suggest some things that I could do to boost my CV with the one year I have?

Thanks in advance

Does your uni do Formula Student?
Original post by Muttley79
Does your uni do Formula Student?

No I've never heard of it.

Thanks in advance

Are any of the engineering institutions active in your area, e.g. do they run and host events, do they have panel meetings?
Original post by Smack
Are any of the engineering institutions active in your area, e.g. do they run and host events, do they have panel meetings?

Not that I am aware of but I would need to look into it.
Reply 5
No I've never heard of it.

Really? Most good unis do ... can you check?
Original post by Muttley79
Really? Most good unis do ... can you check?

Nevermind. I just had a look and my uni does do it. I just hadn't been introduced to it as I am a chemical engineering student. From what I've read I'm not sure if its open to chemical engineers but I'll see.
Reply 7
Nevermind. I just had a look and my uni does do it. I just hadn't been introduced to it as I am a chemical engineering student. From what I've read I'm not sure if its open to chemical engineers but I'll see.

They should allow anyone to be involved ...
Not that I am aware of but I would need to look into it.

Yes, attending events and being part of a local panel is a good way to learn more about industry and meet and network with industry professionals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending