The Student Room Group

D100 (BvetMed) vs D190 (gateway vet med) Nottingham

Hi ,
I wanted to ask if I have to apply to both the D100 and D190 or i would automatically be considered for one another depending on grades i will achieve so just 1 UCAS entry of D100 should be fine ?
thanks
If you didn’t meet the grades you won’t be put on the D190 course automatically, there’s only about 20/25 places across gateway and prelim in Nottingham. If you apply for D100 and don’t get the grades it’s likely you’ll simply lose the place and then either get your second choice, apply in clearing or take a year out and reapply. Although I’ve seen some exceptions recently that they’ve taken some people who didn’t quite meet the offer, assuming a lot of applicants didn’t which is why, but obviously can’t guarantee that yearly. Applying for D190 is riskier imo as there is less places so likely is more competitive, and you also have to meet all the contextual criteria to be considered. I’m not sure on the rules of applying to both, I was under the impression you could (and they are ranked differently as there are different pools of candidates you’re up against so it’s possible to get an offer for one and not the other, as well as the difference in place amounts) as you can with RVC but I think I read something on here recently that said you can only apply to one or the other? Maybe @louisvbird or @flamingolover know the answer?
Ramble's advice is sound.
I presume you qualify for a contextual offer, but you are also predicted close to AAA?

You will only be considered for the course you apply for, so if you want to be considered for both you need to apply for them.
It is heard of to be considered for Nottingham Prelim/Gateway if you miss your regular offer, but not common so don't count on this - there are only 25 seats on the gateway course, but 300 on the regular course! It is much more likely that if you miss your offer you will lose your place.

At Nottingham the gateway/prelim courses are typically more competitive than the regular course, so if you think you'll meet the entry requirements for the regular course you might stand a better chance of getting an offer for applying for the regular course .
However, I don't know if the gateway courses are more competitive at other unis: RVC, Bristol, Liv etc.

I think it mainly comes down to how confident you are in meeting the regular course entry requirements. If you think BBB is more achievable for you, then apply to the contextual courses! If you think you can get AAA/AAB for the regular course, then apply for those as they're probably slightly less competitive (but still competitive nonetheless).
Or, just apply for 2 contextual courses and 2 regular 5 year courses? I think for most unis you are allowed to apply for both.

I hope this helps somewhat :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks Ramble/Louis for your advice.

We are.eligible for contextual offer in Nottingham so we are looking to apply for D100 (with contextual) and D190.

The university have advised to apply for either (and not required to apply for both) they said you will be considered for gateway if the grades are lower.

This is in contrast with RVC where by we need to apply for both as both have different interview and applications process i.e the work exp is not mandatory for RVC gateway.

So the confusion I stil have is if I apply for d190 and I get grades for regular contextual how would that work since I haven't applied for D100?

Thanks
Original post by Tb769
Thanks Ramble/Louis for your advice.

We are.eligible for contextual offer in Nottingham so we are looking to apply for D100 (with contextual) and D190.

The university have advised to apply for either (and not required to apply for both) they said you will be considered for gateway if the grades are lower.

This is in contrast with RVC where by we need to apply for both as both have different interview and applications process i.e the work exp is not mandatory for RVC gateway.

So the confusion I stil have is if I apply for d190 and I get grades for regular contextual how would that work since I haven't applied for D100?

Thanks

This question is probably better directed for the admissions teams unfortunately. Worst case scenario, you've still got your place on the d190 course and you will become a vet, just with an extra year of study. Best case scenario they have space on the regular course and they can bump you up to it so you can study in just the normal 5 years. Either way this wouldn't be a bad outcome!

But definitely direct this question to admissions, as I imagine it will depend on university policy and the number of seats they have available on the courses that year. :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks Louis so as per your suggestion we should go with D190 in case we get an offer and we have higher grades that match the regular contextual they might consider us there and worst case we have an offer and lower grades that would be fine as well ?
Original post by Tb769
Thanks Louis so as per your suggestion we should go with D190 in case we get an offer and we have higher grades that match the regular contextual they might consider us there and worst case we have an offer and lower grades that would be fine as well ?

You would need to email admissions to confirm this, but its possible they might consider you for the 5 year course should you exceed your gateway offer. I am a student and not admissions staff so I can't say for sure - send them an email and they'll give you the best course of action for your situation. :smile:
Reply 7
Anyone got offers for Nottingham vet gateway?
Reply 8
Hi we have received offer for RvC Gateway and hold for RVC D100.

For other or potential future applicants, Nottingham automatically considers you for D190 so no need to separately apply you can just apply for D100. But I would say if you aren't sure about the grades then just apply for D190 for Nottingham. We didn't passed the SJT and hence we weren't considered for any.

For RVC you have to apply for both separately as we did. You can apply D190 RVC Gateway as 5th choice so don't waste your 4 choices apply to as many Univs as you can.
There will be a single interview for both. For D100 you should hear mid Feb. For D190 we just heard yesterday i.e. end of March.
Don't worry about how many applicants and how many places just apply and do your best in the interviews and be prepared..
I would also suggest to directly call admissions they are very helpful both RVC and Nottingham and don't be scared to call them they are there.to guide and they helped us a lot in getting clear picture.

All the best

Threads with lot other applicants: official Veterinary Medicine 2024
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Tb769
Hi we have received offer for RvC Gateway and hold for RVC D100.
For other or potential future applicants, Nottingham automatically considers you for D190 so no need to separately apply you can just apply for D100. But I would say if you aren't sure about the grades then just apply for D190 for Nottingham. We didn't passed the SJT and hence we weren't considered for any.
For RVC you have to apply for both separately as we did. You can apply D190 RVC Gateway as 5th choice so don't waste your 4 choices apply to as many Univs as you can.
There will be a single interview for both. For D100 you should hear mid Feb. For D190 we just heard yesterday i.e. end of March.
Don't worry about how many applicants and how many places just apply and do your best in the interviews and be prepared..
I would also suggest to directly call admissions they are very helpful both RVC and Nottingham and don't be scared to call them they are there.to guide and they helped us a lot in getting clear picture.
All the best
Threads with lot other applicants: official Veterinary Medicine 2024

Thanks & congrats. Can u please give some tips on RvC interview as in what kind of replies u gave. Got offered Vet Bioscience at RVC but wanted BVet gateway. Any suggestions please as thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 10
Hi there are lots of suggestions in other forums please refer to them.We can't disclose Q&A here for fairness to all the applicants. Good luck for you next yr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending