The Student Room Group

GCSE requirements for oxbridge medicine

I got 9 9s and then a 6 in art for gcse and i'm very worried that my 6 will affect my chances - should i be worried or try to make it up with experience etc. All my teachers at my college are saying that all my gcses need to be 7s and above for medicine.
Original post by hgfx
I got 9 9s and then a 6 in art for gcse and i'm very worried that my 6 will affect my chances - should i be worried or try to make it up with experience etc. All my teachers at my college are saying that all my gcses need to be 7s and above for medicine.

Not worry
Reply 2
i guess it depends on your other gcse scores but it shouldnt really make a huge difference - its more your a levels that are important
Reply 3
Original post by hgfx

It will matter to Oxford, who score number of 8/9s and percentage 8/9s but Cambridge will not care one iota.
You cannot make up for it with experience, but a top drawer BMAT can compensate at Oxford
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Reply 4
What about other medical schools? Will they care about the 6?
Reply 5
Original post by hgfx
What about other medical schools? Will they care about the 6?

No
Reply 6
Original post by rish 0_0
i guess it depends on your other gcse scores but it shouldnt really make a huge difference - its more your a levels that are important

Quite a few medical schools use GCSEs for shortlisting and hardly any use A-levels. Most of them just use A-levels as a minimum requirement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending