The Student Room Group

How do I politely tell a client I will stop providing my services if they don't pay?

As the title says...

I have a client who I have been providing my services to for over a year now. In march he made me do a massive job for him where he owed me a lot of money. 6 months later, I have only got 90% of that money.

To make it worse he's given me other jobs in between and he hasn't paid for any of those. The amount of money he owes me is piling up higher and quicker than what he pays me.

I need to tell him I will stop proving my services to him unless he pays me in full but I don't know how to tell him.
Original post by Makijuice
As the title says...

I have a client who I have been providing my services to for over a year now. In march he made me do a massive job for him where he owed me a lot of money. 6 months later, I have only got 90% of that money.

To make it worse he's given me other jobs in between and he hasn't paid for any of those. The amount of money he owes me is piling up higher and quicker than what he pays me.

I need to tell him I will stop proving my services to him unless he pays me in full but I don't know how to tell him.

"Hi X,

Following up from my email dated XYZ, I'm still awaiting payment for JOB X which was completed on DATE Y. As per the agreement between us this is now overdue and I would be grateful if you could make payment so this work can be settled and we can move on to other projects."

If they don't make payment I'd email and advise them that other work is currently on hold until all the overdue payments are sorted.

They are just taking the P and will continue to do this until you push back.
Original post by Admit-One
"Hi X,

Following up from my email dated XYZ, I'm still awaiting payment for JOB X which was completed on DATE Y. As per the agreement between us this is now overdue and I would be grateful if you could make payment so this work can be settled and we can move on to other projects."

If they don't make payment I'd email and advise them that other work is currently on hold until all the overdue payments are sorted.

They are just taking the P and will continue to do this until you push back.

Exactly.
I'd say the same.
Yeah as above really, speaking as a small contractor you 100% need to get in some clients faces, especially if outstanding balances are carrying across multiple new jobs. Some will absolutely take you for everything they can and I've met plenty who pretty much ignore invoices until a direct threat is made, or worse, that will actively look at an invoices due date and make a reminder 1 month later to pay it, they're not forgetting, they're intentionally witholding money as long as they can before you really complain.
Reply 4
The example above is just great. And you really need to politely but firmly state that if your services are not paid for, then, unfortunately, the cooperation between you will be terminated. Good luck:smile:
Original post by Kurt23
The example above is just great. And you really need to politely but firmly state that if your services are not paid for, then, unfortunately, the cooperation between you will be terminated. Good luck:smile:

I'll often add something to the effect 'Direct action may be taken to recoup unpaid items and labour' and leave it intentionally vague so they aren't quite sure if it means a small court claim or a physical visit - depends what your line of work is obv, bit otherwise you will get people taking 'If you don't pay I won't do more work' as sn excuse to walk away without paying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending