The Student Room Group

Korean/Japanese Studies 2024 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MayflowersJE
Wow, thank you so much! No need to apologise for the length, I appreciate the detail a lot! The split groups are interesting, I had wondered how different proficiencies were handled considering the proficiency test. I also appreciate a bit of intensity and competition, so that sounds perfect - thanks again!

No worries! Have you heard back yet? I just got my offer today!
Original post by Grant18

Actually, the course I'm doing this year includes putting in our UCAS applications this week/term, so much as I wanted to do it sooner I'm only able to apply now. Serious congrats on your offer, though!!
Reply 22
Actually, the course I'm doing this year includes putting in our UCAS applications this week/term, so much as I wanted to do it sooner I'm only able to apply now. Serious congrats on your offer, though!!

Thank you! I've made it my firm and I can't wait to start next year! I really hope you hear back quickly, overall it took just over a month for me though I was told mine was delayed about one week because they wanted information about my previous application as this is my second UCAS application in two years - it's a bit of a long story. So hopefully it should only take about 4 weeks I reckon if all goes smoothly, best of luck!!!
Reply 23
Also, are any of you guys on gap years?
Hi, I'm applying for Korean Studies at Sheffield, Warwick and SOAS but I'm having a really hard time with what super curricular stuff to look at and i have no idea how its relevant to the A Levels I'm doing now, (French, History and Drama). Does anyone have any tips?
Reply 25
Original post by MagicalKiwi123
Hey! I just wanted to see if there was anyone one else applying to study Korean or Japanese at university for 2024 entry?

I'll be applying to Sheffield, Leeds, Edinburgh, Cardiff, and SOAS :smile:)

Hi! I most likely will be be applying for Japanese 2024.
Out of your list our common ones are: Sheffield & Edinburgh.

(I am still apprehensive about applying for Japanese as I also like acting!)
Reply 26
Original post by Francesca T
Hi, I'm applying for Korean Studies at Sheffield, Warwick and SOAS but I'm having a really hard time with what super curricular stuff to look at and i have no idea how its relevant to the A Levels I'm doing now, (French, History and Drama). Does anyone have any tips?

omg, I'm doing Spanish, History and Drama.
For super curricular I would recommend any interesting academic articles perhaps in relation to Korea and you could then talk about what you've found interesting from it and what else you would like to learn as a result. I too struggle a little with this :smile:
Original post by LL666
Hi! I most likely will be be applying for Japanese 2024.
Out of your list our common ones are: Sheffield & Edinburgh.

(I am still apprehensive about applying for Japanese as I also like acting!)

That's so cool!! You could always join an acting society at uni as well since I'm sure they'd have them ^^ Maybe studying Japanese could also give you a wider range of acting opportunities as well!!
Reply 28
That's so cool!! You could always join an acting society at uni as well since I'm sure they'd have them ^^ Maybe studying Japanese could also give you a wider range of acting opportunities as well!!

Yeah, I probably will end joining some acting society!
Lets hope we all make it in to our universities, maybe some of us will even end up meeting
Original post by LL666
omg, I'm doing Spanish, History and Drama.
For super curricular I would recommend any interesting academic articles perhaps in relation to Korea and you could then talk about what you've found interesting from it and what else you would like to learn as a result. I too struggle a little with this :smile:

Thank youuu! I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling. I'm really excited for it tho. Where are you applying to? 😊
Reply 30
Thank youuu! I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling. I'm really excited for it tho. Where are you applying to? 😊

I will most likely apply for Japanese Studies in: Sheffield, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Manchester, Durham -> not set in stone yet though!
Reply 31

Hi Francesca, I did my A levels last year and just got my offer from SOAS to study BA Japanese, but my A levels have nothing to do with the subject. I took Philosophy, Psychology and English literature. I got ABB overall and was accepted to SOAS. I don't have any formal qualifications in Japanese just a passionate interest for the language and culture that I talked about in my personal statement. The main thing isn't what you are currently doing, I believe it is about the passion you have about what you want to do. If you've got that (plus are studying a language already even if it is not related) you will get in just fine! If you do want some extra curricular though, I would highly recommend doing some sort of elementary course in Korean even if you just self teach. Find a good textbook to learn some basic grammar and Hangul, maybe learn a few hundred to around a thousand words and just enjoy consuming Korean media with English subtitles (this just keeps things fun)! Obviously don't let it distract from your A levels, my grades are lower than they should have been as I got distracted studying Japanese during year 13. Best of luck! Apologies for the long reply
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Grant18
Also, are any of you guys on gap years?

I'm also on a gap year (my second gap year at this point 😂) I sat my A Levels in summer 2022 but didn't feel quite ready to go to uni and decided to save up some money at my part time job to prepare for potentially living in London :smile:) I also just got an unconditional offer from SOAS to study Korean and Linguistics!! Are you planning on going to SOAS as well?
Reply 33
Original post by Grant18
Hi Francesca, I did my A levels last year and just got my offer from SOAS to study BA Japanese, but my A levels have nothing to do with the subject. I took Philosophy, Psychology and English literature. I got ABB overall and was accepted to SOAS. I don't have any formal qualifications in Japanese just a passionate interest for the language and culture that I talked about in my personal statement. The main thing isn't what you are currently doing, I believe it is about the passion you have about what you want to do. If you've got that (plus are studying a language already even if it is not related) you will get in just fine! If you do want some extra curricular though, I would highly recommend doing some sort of elementary course in Korean even if you just self teach. Find a good textbook to learn some basic grammar and Hangul, maybe learn a few hundred to around a thousand words and just enjoy consuming Korean media with English subtitles (this just keeps things fun)! Obviously don't let it distract from your A levels, my grades are lower than they should have been as I got distracted studying Japanese during year 13. Best of luck! Apologies for the long reply

Personally from experience as you are in SOAS right now doing Japanese, do you think it is a good university for it? How about location, accomodation and such?
Original post by Grant18

Wow thanks for the long reply! Its super helpful. I'm gonna try and finish my statement for this week. I'm so late 😐
Reply 35
Original post by LL666
Personally from experience as you are in SOAS right now doing Japanese, do you think it is a good university for it? How about location, accomodation and such?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I got the offer only a couple of months ago. I’m on my gap year right now and only applied in September, sorry if that’s not the information you wanted.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 36
I'm also on a gap year (my second gap year at this point 😂) I sat my A Levels in summer 2022 but didn't feel quite ready to go to uni and decided to save up some money at my part time job to prepare for potentially living in London :smile:) I also just got an unconditional offer from SOAS to study Korean and Linguistics!! Are you planning on going to SOAS as well?

Omg! Congrats on your offer!!! And yes, I am definitely going to SOAS next year :smile: Fair enough with the two gap years, it’s a long story but my gap year was very much not planned and I kinda stumbled into it 😂. I hope you are enjoying your second though!
Original post by Grant18
Omg! Congrats on your offer!!! And yes, I am definitely going to SOAS next year :smile: Fair enough with the two gap years, it’s a long story but my gap year was very much not planned and I kinda stumbled into it 😂. I hope you are enjoying your second though!

That's so cool!! Since we are both also doing linguistics we'll probably share some classes there as well :smile:) Are you planning on going to an offer holder day if they hold one?
Original post by Grant18

Just wanted to follow up (and also share because I'm well pleased), I got a conditional offer today! Really surprised, because my application ended up only going through this week Tuesday morning - I haven't even heard back from my other four choices yet - and the offer is for lower grades than I expected. Still high-marks needed, but it seems attainable, so I'm buzzing a bit, haha; so much so that I'm ironically struggling to focus on getting my assignments done in the first place.
Just wanted to follow up (and also share because I'm well pleased), I got a conditional offer today! Really surprised, because my application ended up only going through this week Tuesday morning - I haven't even heard back from my other four choices yet - and the offer is for lower grades than I expected. Still high-marks needed, but it seems attainable, so I'm buzzing a bit, haha; so much so that I'm ironically struggling to focus on getting my assignments done in the first place.

Ahh, congratulations!! Is the offer for SOAS? That's really exciting! I got my offer from SOAS a lot quicker this year than it came back last year so maybe their admissions are quicker this year which is nice :smile:) Good luck with your other four choices! I hope you hear back from them soon 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending