The Student Room Group

Korean/Japanese Studies 2024 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MayflowersJE
Just wanted to follow up (and also share because I'm well pleased), I got a conditional offer today! Really surprised, because my application ended up only going through this week Tuesday morning - I haven't even heard back from my other four choices yet - and the offer is for lower grades than I expected. Still high-marks needed, but it seems attainable, so I'm buzzing a bit, haha; so much so that I'm ironically struggling to focus on getting my assignments done in the first place.

Congratulations! I really hope your exams go well and you get the grades you need! Keep that buzz going and it will motivate you for the rest of this academic year.
Reply 41
Original post by MagicalKiwi123
That's so cool!! Since we are both also doing linguistics we'll probably share some classes there as well :smile:) Are you planning on going to an offer holder day if they hold one?

Absolutely, when there is an offers day I will be there
Ahh, congratulations!! Is the offer for SOAS? That's really exciting! I got my offer from SOAS a lot quicker this year than it came back last year so maybe their admissions are quicker this year which is nice :smile:) Good luck with your other four choices! I hope you hear back from them soon 😀

Thank you! Yeah, it was from SOAS, I should've specified - funnily enough my likely second choice got back with an offer this morning, too, so that's been exciting, if a little nerve-wracking now that it's all a bit more real.

Also, sorry, I don't know how to reply to multiple people in one message on this site, but thank you, Grant! I'm hoping they go well, too, so we'll see, haha.
Reply 43
Thank you! Yeah, it was from SOAS, I should've specified - funnily enough my likely second choice got back with an offer this morning, too, so that's been exciting, if a little nerve-wracking now that it's all a bit more real.

Also, sorry, I don't know how to reply to multiple people in one message on this site, but thank you, Grant! I'm hoping they go well, too, so we'll see, haha.

Nice! Also, your applying for Japanese and Linguistics right? Also are you planning on doing any "pre-course work" regarding the Japanese element since I've heard it's quite quick from the get go at SOAS?
Original post by Grant18
Nice! Also, your applying for Japanese and Linguistics right? Also are you planning on doing any "pre-course work" regarding the Japanese element since I've heard it's quite quick from the get go at SOAS?

Japanese and Linguistics, yeah - I already have some experience with the language (unlikely to be enough to place in the advanced group, but enough that the first few weeks or so will probably be a llittle more relaxed), but I'll probably try and fit in some refreshers and a bit of further progress if I can manage it whenever I find time - probably mostly in-between my current course ending and uni starting.
How about you?
Reply 45
Japanese and Linguistics, yeah - I already have some experience with the language (unlikely to be enough to place in the advanced group, but enough that the first few weeks or so will probably be a llittle more relaxed), but I'll probably try and fit in some refreshers and a bit of further progress if I can manage it whenever I find time - probably mostly in-between my current course ending and uni starting.
How about you?

I’ve got a bit down (I’m using Genki 1 and Anki for vocab) so hopefully the first few weeks will be a bit easier fingers crossed 🤞 I basically just wanted to see what other people are doing as I was told by the second years at the open day to do as much as I can to make life a bit easier and I don’t want to turn up underprepared. What are you using to study? I’m a bit of a nerd and quite like hearing other people’s methods 😅
Original post by Grant18
I’ve got a bit down (I’m using Genki 1 and Anki for vocab) so hopefully the first few weeks will be a bit easier fingers crossed 🤞 I basically just wanted to see what other people are doing as I was told by the second years at the open day to do as much as I can to make life a bit easier and I don’t want to turn up underprepared. What are you using to study? I’m a bit of a nerd and quite like hearing other people’s methods 😅

I'm using Genki 1 as well, but mostly James Heisig's Remembering the Kanji, since that's my weakest area and what often feels like my biggest bottleneck - I also have Genki 2, but I don't know if I'll have enough time to get that far, haha. Best of luck to you in your preparations! From my past tackles against Genki it's fun but can swamp you a bit depending on how fast you try to take it.
Reply 47
I'm using Genki 1 as well, but mostly James Heisig's Remembering the Kanji, since that's my weakest area and what often feels like my biggest bottleneck - I also have Genki 2, but I don't know if I'll have enough time to get that far, haha. Best of luck to you in your preparations! From my past tackles against Genki it's fun but can swamp you a bit depending on how fast you try to take it.

Thank you! I should look into RTK. I've seen a lot of chat about it online but to be honest, I'm just creating mnemonics for any kanji I need for Genki and then just quiz myself using an app called "Kanji" which tests stroke order and meaning which is seemingly working so far. I'm actually nearly all the way through with Genki 1 as well! Just finishing off chapter ten, but when I finish the book I think I'm just going to spend a month or so just trying to get really solid on the grammar presented in it, I get what you mean about it swamping you sometimes. It is absolutely so much fun though even if particles do get a bit annoying occasionally 😂. Best of luck with your preparations as well!
Original post by Grant18
Thank you! I should look into RTK. I've seen a lot of chat about it online but to be honest, I'm just creating mnemonics for any kanji I need for Genki and then just quiz myself using an app called "Kanji" which tests stroke order and meaning which is seemingly working so far. I'm actually nearly all the way through with Genki 1 as well! Just finishing off chapter ten, but when I finish the book I think I'm just going to spend a month or so just trying to get really solid on the grammar presented in it, I get what you mean about it swamping you sometimes. It is absolutely so much fun though even if particles do get a bit annoying occasionally 😂. Best of luck with your preparations as well!

Honestly, from my several attempts at tackling kanji and ways of doing it over the years, I think the general consensus is that whatever works for you is best, haha.

Last time I looked at Genki, I think I was around chapter eight or so? But it's been a little while, so I'll probably have to run through most of it again to get back up to speed. I think I actually liked particles, the hardest part was keeping all the vocabulary in line...
Reply 49
Honestly, from my several attempts at tackling kanji and ways of doing it over the years, I think the general consensus is that whatever works for you is best, haha.

Last time I looked at Genki, I think I was around chapter eight or so? But it's been a little while, so I'll probably have to run through most of it again to get back up to speed. I think I actually liked particles, the hardest part was keeping all the vocabulary in line...

That is very fair, I've previously struggled with vocab as well. I seriously recommend this Anki deck https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1742947823 for Genki vocab if your not already using it! Unfortunately the updated version doesn't have the extra words but you can add those bit by bit if you want. I agree with you there about Kanji, I'm just going to keep doing a few a day and bit by bit I can accumulate enough! Also, I restarted Genki once as well (about three months ago after being away from Japanese for nearly six months during year 13), the second time through is much quicker and clearer so don't be at all afraid of reviewing the book over the span of a month or two!
Hey! I just wanted to see if there was anyone one else applying to study Korean or Japanese at university for 2024 entry?

I'll be applying to Sheffield, Leeds, Edinburgh, Cardiff, and SOAS :smile:)

Hii, I’ve also applied for Japanese at SOAS and Edinburgh. I was just wondering if you’ve gotten an offer back from Edinburgh yet? It’s been like 2 months since I sent my application and ik Edinburgh is famously known for taking ages to send offers but I’m getting really angsty about it haha
Reply 51
Original post by Francesca T
Hi, I'm applying for Korean Studies at Sheffield, Warwick and SOAS but I'm having a really hard time with what super curricular stuff to look at and i have no idea how its relevant to the A Levels I'm doing now, (French, History and Drama). Does anyone have any tips?

hi! I've applied to SOAS, Sheffield and Warwick also :')
Reply 52
Original post by apron
Hey! I've applied to do Japanese at Sheffield, SOAS, Birkbeck, UCLan and Cambridge! What would be your top uni? Mine is definitely Sheffield

What attracts you to sheffield so much? I’ve applied to manchester as well as sheffield, have gotten offers for both, but want to know more about the sheffield course tbh. The taster session covered east asian studies as a whole, so when I went to the more focused one in manchester I found out a lot more about their course. affordability and accommodation wise sheffield is definitely appealing though!!
Reply 53
Hey all! I got conditional offers to Manchester and Sheffield for Japanese and linguistics a couple of days ago. Trying to think which would be best to go for. I’ve also applied for Edinburgh but tbh not super worried about getting accepted or not because I’m looking at Sheffield or Manchester. Anyone else looking at these Unis and/or has previous knowledge studying Japanese? 来学期まで中級のようになりたいので今文法に集中にしているけど、漢字も頑張っています!For anyone looking to study in advance I HIGHLY recommend (after learning hiragana and katakana) wanikani for kanji and bunpro for grammar! And of course immerse yourself in the language where you can. Good luck to everyone!! :>
(edited 2 months ago)
Hey! I just wanted to see if there was anyone one else applying to study Korean or Japanese at university for 2024 entry?

Hi! I’ve applied for Korean at SOAS, Sheffield and UCLan and also for Korean and Linguistics at SOAS and UCLan😀
Reply 55
hi all! I've applied for Korean at Sheffield and Korean and Linguistics at SOAS 🙂 i've also applied to Warwick, Cardiff and Oxford brookes!
Original post by katefrsugarr
Hi! I’ve applied for Korean at SOAS, Sheffield and UCLan and also for Korean and Linguistics at SOAS and UCLan😀

Hi @katefrsugarr, 👋

Great to see that you have applied to study here at UCLan and that you are interested in studying Korean!

Do you have any questions about our course or life here as a student that I can help with?

All the best, 😊
Sarah
Reply 57

Hey, I’ve applied for Japanese studies at newcastle, edinburgh, durham, sheffield and york st john’s

Hi It's great that you're applying for Korean or Japanese at SOAS. I'm a final year undergraduate student, if you have any questions about languages at SOAS or uni life etc, I'd be happy to answer them!

Z
UG Arabic and International Relations
Reply 59
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
Hi It's great that you're applying for Korean or Japanese at SOAS. I'm a final year undergraduate student, if you have any questions about languages at SOAS or uni life etc, I'd be happy to answer them!

Z
UG Arabic and International Relations

Hi! I am currently going to be joining SOAS in September on the BA Japanese degree. However, I recently have been looking more closely at the BA Japanese and Linguistics course and realised it may interest me more. Do you know how easy it is to change courses? Not 100% sure yet if I even want to change, but it would be useful to know what the process is like or even if there is one. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Good luck with your finals!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending