The Student Room Group

What are the best A-Levels for studying Medicine at Cambridge?

I was initially planning to pick Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry. However, my Maths teacher told me to pick Biology, Chemistry and Physics as it would show a larger breadth of knowledge. Apparently universities only look at the 3 A-levels and they don’t account to the fourth one, so which one would give me a better advantage?
Original post by Dazza07h
I was initially planning to pick Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry. However, my Maths teacher told me to pick Biology, Chemistry and Physics as it would show a larger breadth of knowledge. Apparently universities only look at the 3 A-levels and they don’t account to the fourth one, so which one would give me a better advantage?

Yes while it is true that they look at the 3 A levels they will still look at your predicted grade for the 4th A level. Based on experience, med candidates don't normally take further maths and for those who want to do 4th A level, physics is usually the subject of choice as it works hand in hand with maths (mechanics in Y13). At the end of the day, pick the subject you think you will score better at. Hope this helps!
There's no preference between maths or physics on the whole. Anecdotally I seem to recall someone found that doing maths correlated with better scores on the BMAT although that's going away now anyway
Reply 3
Original post by Dazza07h

Entry requirements for each UK Medical School - https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/3060/uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf
No Unis 'prefer' 4 A levels for Medicine - you dont need FM, and Physics isnt vital either.

Quick Reply

Latest