The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

PPE personal statement for LSE

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to apply for PPE at LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews (my dream uni is LSE, so I'm trying to write my ps 'LSE-style').

At the moment, I'm really stuck on what to write in my personal statement, especially as I have not studied philosophy or politics,. I have looked over course content and some podcasts and read the news so I know I like the courses, but am not sure on what extra reading to include. Did anyone else also apply to LSE, I know they are very PS focused. Does anyone have any tips?

I would also be grateful if anyone who applied LSE PPE could share their personal statement with me JUST so I can get an idea of the level of depth and what sorts of things I need to include. Thank you everyone, appreciate the help.
They don't expect you to have studied it before, but do expect you to have done some reading in the subject area to understand what doing philosophy (or politics or economics) at degree level entails.

There are innumerable areas of philosophy you could read about and plenty that are pitched at a general audience or not requiring an extensive background in the subject as I understand it. Politics is a bit more varied I think but you can probably tackle both by looking at some political philosophy/political theory.

Note that most LSE modules include the reading list for them so you may find looking at the introductory modules in those departments there and seeing what kind of things they expect the first year students to read somewhere to start - obviously don't stick exclusively to that but look at similar readings more broadly.

You could also try a more integrated approach rather than speaking about each subject separately and then (presumably) the overlaps/intersections, e.g. looking at a particular "case study" topic from all three in an integrated manner. I'm sure there are probably some topical policy issues which invite political, economic, and philosophical analyses - the latter probably more commonly ethical but there might be some neat epistemological arguments to be made too.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by happygirl02
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to apply for PPE at LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews (my dream uni is LSE, so I'm trying to write my ps 'LSE-style').

At the moment, I'm really stuck on what to write in my personal statement, especially as I have not studied philosophy or politics,. I have looked over course content and some podcasts and read the news so I know I like the courses, but am not sure on what extra reading to include. Did anyone else also apply to LSE, I know they are very PS focused. Does anyone have any tips?

I would also be grateful if anyone who applied LSE PPE could share their personal statement with me JUST so I can get an idea of the level of depth and what sorts of things I need to include. Thank you everyone, appreciate the help.

try and find a concept/theme that links the three together that you are passionate about and critically analyse/evaluate it. link all your super-curriculars/extra curriculars throughout and constantly add your opinion on the issue

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending