The Student Room Group

uni independent work

I'm going into uni next year and I know that most of the work is done by yourself, but to what extent? like will the professors give us textbooks/sources to get the information from or do we have to find everything ourselves?
Hi @twinkle_31

It varies depending on the subject you are studying. What subject will you be studying? Essay based subjects have fewer contact hours and you are expected to spend more time reading independently outside whereas, STEM subjects have more contact hours. In your first week, the lecturers will make it clear what the expectations are.

The lecturers will provide you with the resources you require. If you are required to do readings for that module, you will be provided with a reading list for each module. With regards to textbooks, the uni will tell you what textbooks you require for the module and these can be found viewed as an ebook through the university system.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
University of Southampton
Reply 2
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @twinkle_31

It varies depending on the subject you are studying. What subject will you be studying? Essay based subjects have fewer contact hours and you are expected to spend more time reading independently outside whereas, STEM subjects have more contact hours. In your first week, the lecturers will make it clear what the expectations are.

The lecturers will provide you with the resources you require. If you are required to do readings for that module, you will be provided with a reading list for each module. With regards to textbooks, the uni will tell you what textbooks you require for the module and these can be found viewed as an ebook through the university system.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
University of Southampton

Hi, thank you, this helps alot. I'm going to be studying biomedical science or biology next year!
Original post by twinkle_31
I'm going into uni next year and I know that most of the work is done by yourself, but to what extent? like will the professors give us textbooks/sources to get the information from or do we have to find everything ourselves?

Hi @twinkle_31 ,

I am not too sure about biomedical science or biology as I do Psychology which is more essay based.

As @Uni of Southampton Students mentioned, you usually get further reading to do based on the lectures. In my first and second year we would usually get readings to do from textbooks but now in my final year, we usually get papers to read as it is more appropriate for the subject. Textbooks are mainly there to help support your understanding of a topic.

When it comes to assignments, that is when we go beyond the reading we have been given and search for papers/articles on our own. Initially this sounds quite daunting but with time you do get the hang of it.

If you are struggling with this, you can usually seek advice from your tutor/academic advisor (whatever it is called in your university).

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending