The Student Room Group

Extension and Appeal

I applied for mitigating circumstances for exams because of my health issues and they got denied because I should’ve applied for long term health issues support.

However, I just spoke to my course leader and she said they still should’ve been approved no matter what (even when it’s long term) and that now I should appeal.

Would it be appropriate to mention what my course leader said in the appeal or it would get her into trouble?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I applied for mitigating circumstances for exams because of my health issues and they got denied because I should’ve applied for long term health issues support.

However, I just spoke to my course leader and she said they still should’ve been approved no matter what (even when it’s long term) and that now I should appeal.

Would it be appropriate to mention what my course leader said in the appeal or it would get her into trouble?

The best approach would be to review your university's rules surrounding mitigating circumstances for exams -- these may well be different to normal coursework. In particular, some universities have a "fit to sit" policy, under which your attendance at an exam is effectively a declaration that you're fit to sit it.

If you have long-term health conditions, then you do need to get support put in place for them, and that might include things like extra time in exams. MCs are generally there to deal with situations that are out of the ordinary, not for a condition that's there on a long-term basis.

You could ask for the specific regulation that allows them to deny your MC claim.

It might be best to approach your student union for support in progressing this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending