The Student Room Group

Suggestion

Hello,

Can someone help. I submitted my dissertation on 9th may i had alot fof unfortunate circumstances happened in between but i still submitted it as i thought i wont be granted an extension. However recently i found out from other students that my supervisor is a very harsh marker.

Do you think think it would be a good idea to send an email to the module convenor, conveying my circumstances and to be leinent while grading? Or do you think its too late now as there 1/2 weeks left before i receive my marks?

I am just worried it will bring my overall degree grade down as i done pretty well in other modules and i dont want this to bring it down.

Thank you for your help

Kind regards
Reply 1
This 'harsh marker' thing is irrelevant for dissertations anyway because they are marked twice and any discrepancy is further moderated after discussions between the primary and secondary markers. Put simply, there isn't much opportunity to be marked 'harshly' in a dissertation because two people agree on the grade, then it is moderated another two times by the internal moderator and the external examiner.

If you have/had mitigating circumstances, you ought to follow the appropriate channels and procedures to apply them. Emailing the convenor isn't enough, is outside of procedure, and would be unlikely to result in anything at all.

Ideally, you'd have submitted mitigation before submission, as is the procedure at basically all institutions. However, if there are demonstrable reasons why you could do not do this, then the university might take into account retrospective mitigation. I must caution that this is very unusual, however.
Reply 2
You need to submit mitigating circumstances before submitting in order to get an extension. Please submit them asap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending