The Student Room Group

Degree classification

I received my undergrad results today. I have a 58.3 so a 2.2. I needed a 2:1 for the further studies I applied for.

Do I have grounds to appeal? My uni ignored the fact that I have extenuating circumstances, they said they don’t take anything into account when deciding the final classification, but surely this isn’t fair?

I have a severely disrupted two years that counted for any marks used. I lived with someone dangerous so was in emergency accommodation and moving around multiple times. He was another student at the uni.
Then, in final year I had severe mental health issues. I had to defer exams. I also have caring responsibilities for my dad. It turns out I am eligible for extra time in exams but this was too late to add and it was not possible to defer another year as it goes against academic rules.

When anyone looks at my grade/transcript they will see it as if I achieved these in normal circumstances however that is not the case at all.

I have worked tirelessly and have fallen short by 1 percent and want to appeal but the uni don’t seem to care.
Reply 1
If you feel the final grade does not accurately reflect the conditions in which you achieved it, then your best bet is to appeal. I don't think anyone is going to be able to say whether it'll succeed or not, though - it really all depends, firstly, on how much evidence you have of your extenuating circumstances, and secondly, on how aware the university were throughout your degree that you were experiencing all of that.

Investigate and follow the university's appeals process, provide all the documents and evidence they ask for etc. Make sure you're familiar with exactly how the process will work.
Reply 2
Did you make the institution aware of any mitigating factors at the time?

They are right that mitigation usually does not apply to classifications. Instead it applies to individual assessments that later combine to constitute the classification. If mitigation has been accepted in this way, then it is tricky to see how a case might be made.

If you did not make them aware at the time then the test is really 'why not'? It is very, very unusual to see retrospective mitigation applied, even more so to a classification. But it can happen.

On the face of things as they stand (i.e. what we can read in this thread) I'm not sure that there is a case for appeal here. It sounds harsh but generally MC regulations determine that if this was ongoing for two years then the onus was on you to keep them informed and address mitigation during those two years, and not at the end of the degree programme. That'll be the sticking point you need to work around or address.
Reply 3
So they have been aware the whole way through but there was nothing they offered besides deferrals. Mitigation at our uni only means a deferral. I don’t get any form of special consideration
Reply 4
That is a very strange policy, and I've never heard of that before.

But if they were aware and they followed their procedures, I don't see that there is much to be done
Reply 5
So there’s this rule where 57% overall and above is a preponderance zone, which I fall into. You need half your credits over 60 to then qualify for a 2:1 as opposed to meeting the overall percentage needed for a 2:1.

I have 16 modules so need 8 over 60.
5 over over 60 including two at a first but that doesn’t change anything.
1 is at 59.
And 2 are at 58.

The ones that are borderline were sat under extenuating circumstances so should have been flagged but were not. That’s why I was trying to appeal. I appreciate they can’t just change it to 60 but the rules say they have the power to modify the classification in exceptional cases.

The thing is now I’m drafting an appeal, I’m struggling with how to word things to they don’t use it against me. Plus, I was informed they don’t look at exceptional circumstances from prior years as they have already been completed but surely that’s wrong if those years contribute to my classification?
Reply 6
And with some of the assessments I sat under severe mental health issues, I passed them and had already deferred almost all my assessments . So I was informed by wellbeing to not defer too many. One of these happens to be a module I was borderline in for a 60.

Also, when I deferred all the exams my mental health was even worse so I got a letter from my GP to apply retrospectively and it was valid for severe mental illness to qualify for retrospective mitigation but they said I couldn’t do these assessments again as I passed all so it wasn’t in my best interests. Which I did not have a say in
is this lse?

Original post by Anonymous
So there’s this rule where 57% overall and above is a preponderance zone, which I fall into. You need half your credits over 60 to then qualify for a 2:1 as opposed to meeting the overall percentage needed for a 2:1.

I have 16 modules so need 8 over 60.
5 over over 60 including two at a first but that doesn’t change anything.
1 is at 59.
And 2 are at 58.

The ones that are borderline were sat under extenuating circumstances so should have been flagged but were not. That’s why I was trying to appeal. I appreciate they can’t just change it to 60 but the rules say they have the power to modify the classification in exceptional cases.

The thing is now I’m drafting an appeal, I’m struggling with how to word things to they don’t use it against me. Plus, I was informed they don’t look at exceptional circumstances from prior years as they have already been completed but surely that’s wrong if those years contribute to my classification?
Reply 8
No it’s a uni outside of london

Original post by Anonymous
is this lse?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending