The Student Room Group

Applying to uni as a private candidate

I'm planning to apply to unis this year as a mature student/private candidate by resitting A level maths and physics as well taking a new a level being further maths. I might do another one even though i know you don't need more than three
When I originally did my a levels I had a mental health condition that severely impacted my performance and failed exams quite badly. I started learning for exams this year and I'm confident I can get A*/A grades for everything. I want to apply to some competitive unis like Cambridge, Bath, Durham etc

i have some questions regarding my application

1) I do not have anyone professional who can comment fairly on my current academic performance and write a suitable reference/provide predicted grades . what can I do about this ? i don't use tutors but would I be able to get one to sort this out for me ?
2) when i first sat my exams I did not have any help with my mental health and don't have anything from that time to prove it. I'm not sure if I can use a mitigating circumstances form or not or if I have other options.
3) Do i have a chance on getting into top unis if i apply with resits ?
Reply 1
Original post by SolaOrb
I'm planning to apply to unis this year as a mature student/private candidate by resitting A level maths and physics as well taking a new a level being further maths. I might do another one even though i know you don't need more than three
When I originally did my a levels I had a mental health condition that severely impacted my performance and failed exams quite badly. I started learning for exams this year and I'm confident I can get A*/A grades for everything. I want to apply to some competitive unis like Cambridge, Bath, Durham etc

i have some questions regarding my application

1) I do not have anyone professional who can comment fairly on my current academic performance and write a suitable reference/provide predicted grades . what can I do about this ? i don't use tutors but would I be able to get one to sort this out for me ?
2) when i first sat my exams I did not have any help with my mental health and don't have anything from that time to prove it. I'm not sure if I can use a mitigating circumstances form or not or if I have other options.
3) Do i have a chance on getting into top unis if i apply with resits ?

1. The reference has to be from either your Head of Centre or a tutor or a teacher and if that fails, then an employer's reference will suffice.

2. How long ago was your mental health problem? If it was more than 5 years ago, it could prove difficult to gain "mitigating circumstances" :s-smilie:

3. Resits don't matter, as long as you achieve one grade higher than the offer, so you would need A*A*A for Cambridge University and everywhere else might accept you with A*AA or might want A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and Physics. :wink:

4. Do you want to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge University? OR Physics at Oxford University? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending