The Student Room Group

Whether to work from home or not?

I mean on terms of human interaction. Currently I work in an actual workplace with other people. It's not like I'm hugely social but the thought of being hammering away largely by myself at home kind of feels kind of isolating and possibly at times a bit boring maybe even depressing.

Currently my work colleagues etc I find nice & easy to get along with. However, it looks like that I will soon get to a stage in my life where I can work from home. So what to do? Do I chuck in my workplace job for a work from home job?

Virus is a slight concern, but I take precautions at my workplace job and have never caught it there even when it was occasionally present. So less risk of virus at home potentially but less contact with people. I know some people work quite happily at home but I kind of don't get out meeting people much as it is so for me I wonder if it may be shutting myself off too much from other people. Potentially I could try for more of a social life as will have more free time but I'm not sure if it will work out in reality.

Potentially if it doesn't work out can always go back to my workplace job or similar no guarantees though. Kind of wondering if I'm going to make a faux pas from the get go getting a work from home job/situation or if I can make it work ok.

Workplace job I kind of like but been doing it a while now, a few years and kind of getting to the point of wondering if it's getting near running it's course. So bit of a dilemna really, any ideas?
I personally prefer going into the office... but I seem to be in the minority (at my company, at least). My company has a hybrid system, so it's largely up o the individual what they prefer to do. To help you decide for yourself, why not consider the pros and cons?

Perks of working from home:-

1) Convenient (Own space, don't have to put up with fussy or messy colleagues._
2) Saves a fortune on travel costs
3) Can get up literally 5 minutes before your shift starts
4) If you have children or pets, they will appreciate you being around
5) Can do other things around the house
6) Can work in your pyjamas / dressing gown if you wanted

Perks of going into the office:-

1) Normally more work / goal focused (less distractions)
2) Change of environment can be nice, and you switch off more when you go home
3) Seeing your colleagues face to face,
4) If you need advice / opinions, much easier to go to their desk, rather than trying to call them
5) There's the whole social aspect (can go for lunch together, or have end of week / month drinks etc.)
6) The feeling of camaraderie when you're all working together; especially when you achieve a target.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending